cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stormy Weather

Community Veteran

Stormy Weather

We are in for a stormy weekend as Storm Ciara is heading for the UK.

Batten down the hatches.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/storm-ciara-uk-weather-forecast-met-office-warnings-winds-when-where-wee...

56 REPLIES 56
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Stormy Weather

No great surprise really - February/March seems to be the period for this type of weather.

John
Fixes: 382

I was going to put back the displaced sheets of glass/Polycarbonate in my greenhouse this weekend but it looks like I'll be doing it again next week.

So I'll not bother yet.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rung the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well if your watching, don't worry, there isn't!"

😂 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yay, more toppled bins blowing rubbish about on the streets.............

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

At least you get bins, we even have to supply our own bags! 

Oh yes, and cats rip them open if they are put out the night before. 😉

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

... you get bins, we even have to supply our own bags! 

Oh yes, and cats rip them open if they are put out the night before. 😉

Another minus point for cats!

Our council issues colour-coded weighted polypropylene cube-shaped bags with a velcro-fastening flap over the top for our recycling (soon to be changed to another system I believe).   I just use one of those to put the plastic (self-supplied, like you) refuse sack into, although we don't have much refuse as discussed in another thread some time ago.

The council also sell 'gull-proof' bags which are of similar construction but larger.  Perhaps you could investigate that option?

If you get strong winds where you live it's worth tying the bag to a gatepost or similar, which I found to my cost as our nice clean one blew away one day in a storm after emptying, no doubt to be claimed by someone who didn't have one.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@twocvbloke wrote:

Yay, more toppled bins blowing rubbish about on the streets.............

Secure them then. Put bungee cords over the lids and that way they are kept on and rubbish does not blow about. Simple.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@7up wrote:

Secure them then.

It's not my bins toppling, it's the neighbours who don't secure them, I place the bins on their fronts (so wheels & handles are up in the air) behind the shed with the lids pressed against the wall, saves moaning about them making loud noises when toppling and keeps the contents in the bin, meanwhile, other people's bins come crashing down, spilling everything, blowing about & filliing everyone's yards with their rubbish... 🙄

Fixes: 382

I have battened down everything I can but as others have said, I cannot do anything about neighbours.

The green bin, the main problem item, is tucked away in a corner of the garden behind a shed.

Fortunately it's not a bin day when wheelie bins would be flying around the streets.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 72.0.2 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Community Veteran

Storm Ciara has started to arrive with strong winds. Here in Essex we currently have gusts of 50 mph with a forecast of it reaching 80 mph later. The Dartford Crossing bridge has been closed so the M25 will be a problem today.

I got up at 4am this morning and had to take down all my hanging backets and put them in a sheltered place.

Community Veteran

I have friends who were due to fly from Charlotte to LHR on Friday. There flight was cancelled due to Ciara and they were rebooked on last night's flight. This was also cancelled and they are now waiting for a new flight day. There will also be passengers waiting here to return to Charlotte but not able to due to planes not being here for them. Just one example of travel chaos as this is only one example of cancelled flights.

Community Veteran

Things must be bad in the Manchester area. BBC1 has lost their live feed from Salford. We were watching a blank screen for around 15 minutes in the South.

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 20

@artmo It's horrible round there at the moment -VERY heavy rain and windy at the moment according to 'Home & Dry' on my iPad.

Edit to add - just hope the Pennines take some of the sting out of it before it gets to Sheffield.

John
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Apparently, the equivalent to "it's raining cats and dogs" in Albanian is "God is having a pee". In Colombian Spanish, it's "raining husbands"; in Welsh, it's "raining old ladies and sticks", while in Greece, it's "raining chair legs".

Bucketing, stairs rods, glad I'm not at sea.... 

With me at the moment it's "what's it like outside? Is it raining"