cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storm in a teacake

Steve
Pro

Storm in a teacake

That was the headline for the Tory owner of Tunnock's tea cakes on the Guardian website.
Scots ( some not all ) have called for a boycott of Tunnock’s after the biscuit company scrapped the image of the lion rampant from the packaging of its iconic teacake in a bid to rebrand the snack as British.
The image of the Scottish lion is missing from a new advertising campaign that appears on the London underground. In the ads, the marshmallow snack is also referred to as “Tunnock’s Great British teacake”.

Now I couldn't care less about how the tea cake is being re branded I just want to know what everyone who lives in England calls a Teacake? is it these?
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/06/tunnocks-teacake-scottish-british-nationalists-...
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/04/storm-in-a-teacake-scottish-nationalists-call-for-boy...
The guardian is certainly plugging them for free advertising lol
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Storm in a teacake

In much of England, 'Teacakes' are these - served toasted (not something to try with the chocolate/marshmallow ones unless you want a very messy toaster): http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/toasted-teacakes.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Pro

Thanks w23 that basically confirms what I read in the comments of the articles but thought I would check in here for some proper opinion, strange you're just down the road from us yet the teacake has two totally different meanings lol
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
In much of England, 'Teacakes' are these - served toasted (not something to try with the chocolate/marshmallow ones unless you want a very messy toaster): http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/toasted-teacakes.html

Plus one! Cool
Oops! SWMBO calls the Tunnock ones Chocolate Teacakes, but she is half Irish! Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Steve
Pro

I don't know why these things get so much hype anyway I prefer wagon wheels,  in my opinion they are better than these chocolate covered marshmallow British biscuit things lol
Fixes: 125

Haven't had a Wagon Wheel for years.
Used to love 'em back in my school days along with Munchies  Cool
Back in the 70's they were 5p a pack and I'm sure there was more in them Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Must admit i'm a bit partial to tunnocks teacakes... and from my POV thats the only teacake in existence lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

never heard of a tea cake that wasn't some sort of fruity bread, round here the packaging always read sweet marshmallow cake (tbh tunnocks might be nice but the shops own was all they stocked)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I do like the Tunnocks caramel wafer biscuits. Mmmmm!! Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Those used to be "Duncan's Caramel Wafers"!
Ah, the good old days of Rowntrees. Wink
Geoff,
York.