cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopping smoking, strange side effect.

Community Veteran

Stopping smoking, strange side effect.

After smoking for 15 years (from the age of 14) and after several failed quitting attempts I finally appear to be getting somewhere. Three weeks ago I tried hypnotherapy and went from 20 a day to zero with no patches, gum etc.
I am growing more confident every day and can definitely feel benefits like being able to breathe easily when I wake up in the morning and beer tastes so much better  Grin.
I am however experiencing a strange downside for which I cannot see any other reason. My digestive system is just not running as smoothly as it did and has got worse in the three weeks since I stopped. Without going into too much detail, this is quite uncomfortable and getting really annoying.
Has anyone experienced this after stopping smoking? How long does it last and can anyone recommend good products to help with digestion in the short term?
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Stopping smoking, strange side effect.

I did it the hard way.... I just slowly cut down from 20 a day to 15 , then to 10  then to 40 a week then 30 a week, then 20 etc.,,,,, eventually I woke up one morning, had no fags left, and never went to the shop for any.... Can`t remember having "digestive" problems,  I would suggest you speak to your doc about it, cos your body is now suffering from a 100% cut off from the nicotine drug, and it is trying very hard to compensate for it..... you may need some "medical" support, to wean your system off the drug..... if you can follow the thinking behind that ! !
good luck.... you will also notice that you will stop coughing every couple of minutes too!... and if you look carefully after a couple of days, you may even notice that the whites of your eyes are actually white again !>

Cool Shocked
paulby
Grafter

Not a smoker myself but my mother in law gave up a while back and suffered from constipation for a few weeks.
It's a symptom of nicotine withdrawal - this page lists a few more.  
The only thing the doc suggested for her was eat lots of fruit and veg and high fibre cereal and also some stuff called "Fybogel" which you can get in Boots.
Good news is she managed to quit and her bowels have returned to normal!!
Community Veteran

if you eat bread, get some with lots of seeds in it as that helps with the breakdown of the lumps in your colon.  drink plenty of water and try to include a fair amount of fruit in your diet.
it might benefit you to have a chat with the dietitian at your local hospital as she will be dealing with all manner of dietary disturbances and may have knowledge of yours.
Community Veteran

Good to know I am not the only one. I used to eat weetabix every morning but switched to toast for some reason. I suppose it might be an idea to get back on the weetabix.
At shutter: I tried cutting down, patches, gum several times before but in the end I think a dead stop is the best way to get it over with. I would never have been able to do this without the hypnotherapy.
Although this is not some miracle cure as people may think, it definitely gave my the strength and motivation to stop dead and at £95 it has already paid for itself in the 3 weeks since!
Fixes: 125

My wife, after smoking for around 10 years gave up last November.
Thsi was her own decision and she stopped without medical help, patches or any other substitue - one day she was on around 20 the next, zilch! The only side effect I noticed was a shorter fuse for a month or two. She got over that but she never complained or showed signs of any physical illness or discomfort.
Personnally (I only smoked for a few years and also gave up without a hitch) I think it is simply down to one's make-up (no not Boots No 7), addictiveness and luck.
I agree that taking plenty of water will help your side effects.
Power to you.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well done,i hope you manage to stay off the fags,soon you will have great taste buds again and your sense of smell will be very much greater,i tried to stop few years back,i went hardcore just stopped,i lasted about six whole months,but i found myself dying for a ciggy with or after a cuppa,after meals,and first thing in the morning
I put on over two stone which i still have not managed to get back off and im still smoking!!wish you all the best with it,as for your problem i would suggest the same as a few other posters here.
Lurker
Grafter

The easiest way to stop is to revert to the default position - i.e. Simply don't!
Anything else actually requires effort in some form, so by definition must be harder.
Its just a case of remembering that any urges are purely in the mind, and to remember that your mind is one of the few things you truly own and can do with as you wish!
I also smoked for around 15years. I quit in exactly the same way each of my grandparents had in years before - I just didn't smoke any more.
Personally I think a lot of the replacement therapies are crutches for those without the mental strength to make the decision and stick to it - they are not necessarily a bad thing, but as far as I can see they still require more effort than just doing nothing.
And you can now get on with your life and enjoy it a whole lot more!
I recommend a few treats to take advantage of your new sense of smell and taste; perhaps a wine tasting course/day, or a treat in a fancy restaurant.
You can pay for it with the cash you've saved by quitting, and the epiphany than food and drink have so much flavour to enjoy will really help with the positive mental attitude side of it. Smiley
Community Veteran

You can pay for it with the cash you've saved by quitting

Funny, I haven`t smoked now for about 15 years.... but I don`t seem to be any richer, by saving money not spent on fags..... I do recall that petrol and diesel and electric and gas and one or two luxuries like bread and milk have gone up along the way, so maybe that`s where all my "savings" have gone.  Undecided
Lurker
Grafter

My stopping coincided with getting married,  so I can only guess that the wife is stealing all the extra cash. :/
Fixes: 47

I smoked for about 15 years and stopped by using the following method.
On my way to work I called in for my usual 20 Woodbine.
On arriving at work I opened the packet, decided to quit there and then and gave the newly opened 20 packet to a work colleague.
For a Yorkshireman giving such a thing away is a severe shock which caused me never to buy another packet in case it happened again.
I have never smoked since....over 30 years ago.

PS My wife used Hypnotherapy which worked perfectly. (she wasn't from Yorkshire)
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Lurker
Grafter

My maternal Grandmother just left half a packet on the dashboard of her car, and just chose not to have another.
My maternal Grandfather quit similarly - he came in from work one evening, put his cigarettes on the mantelpiece and never had another.
In both cases the part packets stayed there until they sold [respectively] the car and house.
Paternal Grandmother quit after a heart attack, so slightly different motivation - same story though, simply never had another.
Community Veteran

On arriving at work I opened the packet, decided to quit there and then and gave the newly opened 20 packet to a work colleague.

So, there you have it folks, the proof that not all Yokshumen are tight ! ! !  Shocked
Fixes: 105

True, but that was back in the day when 20 woodbines cost 20p; now they'd be closer to six quid, I'd like to see Strat try it again!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

Give me a break Adie. It was hard enough back then Sad
@Shutter There was method in my madness. It won't happen again.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation