cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Stop!!

I was watching some flying model aircraft clips on You Tube yesterday. I very rarely have sound on when using my computers. But I did want to listen to the commentary with some of the clips so un-muted the sound.
I watched two or three, and began to notice that by changing clips opened clips did not stop the previous clip <if you see what I mean> In fact I found all of the opened clips continued to run (by using the "back" button) That also the "X" stop button was disabled. Nor could I see any way in the You Tube window to close a clip. Worse, I found on closing the browser the last open clip continued to play and repeated itself when complete. In fact the only way I found of shutting off the clip was to shut down the computer entirely (maybe the Cont/Alt/Delete Task Manager may have done it but I didn't try it)
I only noticed this because of the sound. I'm not an avid viewer of You Tube material just occasionally. Is this normal for You Tube? Or do I have some strange setting in Firefox that I need to adjust?
Does this mean taking it a stage further, if downloading anything from the internet and then cancelling the download for whatever reason, does the download continue in the background anyway? Because I have a sneaky feeling it does, whilst looking through my download folder recently I found a file that I was reasonably sure I had changed my mind about part way through download.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Stop!!

Youtube changed how videos Stop, it stops playing but does not stop it caching it is still downloading in background.  So probably a bug with FF that is still playing the audio.
Not had that particular bug with Opera but similar, the audio will continue after closing Opera and have to close the Opera process via task manager
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Quote from: Gus
Youtube changed how videos Stop, it stops playing but does not stop it caching it is still downloading in background. 

Thanks Gus. I suppose there's some good logical reason for this, but can't see what myself. Why not have a stop button I wonder, and why disable the browser stop button (always assuming that is a You Tube function of course) It retains the pause button.
Nice to know I'm not the only one though.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never had that problem in Seamonkey which is also made by the same people and I've not noticed it with FF either so it must be a bug with yours. Either that or the computer was just tired and confused (it does happen).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Petlew, do you use 'Better Privacy'?  I also have had your problem with sound continuing after closing the video and have to cancel BP to stop the sound.
Community Veteran

@artmo, yes I do, thank you I'll try that.
And thank you for the comment sprite as well...confused PC eh! uhmm, well anything is worth looking at Cool