cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop & Search

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Stop & Search

If you are walking along the road (on the path) in daylight hours and get stopped by the Police and questioned, I guess you would be required to give your name and address as a legal requirement but what other information must you give to ensure you cannot be charged with obstructing the police ?
About 6 months ago a number of people with cameras were subject to a range of hassle by the Police and Community Support Officers when taking photographs of public buildings/places in London and I don't think the issue has been completely resolved as you could be technically arrested under the prevention of terriorism act if you failed to comply (ie Stop taking Pictures & in some cases deleting photos already taken)
4 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Stop & Search

I have a copy of this in my photo bag  http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/stop_and_search_and_photographers_anti_terrorism_minister_...
David Hanson, Minister for Policing and Crime, said in a statement, issued this morning: 'I recently met with Austin Mitchell [chairman of the Parliamentary All Party Photography Group] and representatives of the photographic press to discuss the issue of counter terrorism powers and offences in relation to photography.
'I welcomed the opportunity to reassure all those concerned with this issue that we have no intention of Section 44 or Section 58a [of the Terrorism Act] being used to stop ordinary people taking photos or to curtail legitimate journalistic activity.'
He added: 'Guidance has been provided to all police forces advising that these powers and offences should not be used to stop innocent members of the public, tourists or responsible journalists from taking photographs.
Denzil
Grafter

The police don't have the power to prevent you from taking photographs, unless they have "reasonable suspicion" that you are engaged in a terrorist activity. There is a good official link here,
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/home-office-circulars/circulars-2009/012-2009/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I wonder what the definition of reasonable suspicion is ?
I bet a couple of lawyers could spend years discussing that one.
Community Veteran

That's a good link Denzil, thanks for posting.