Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop..Start

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Stop..Start

Some modern cars have a system that stops the engine if the car is stationery after a short time and then starts automatically once the accelerator pedal is pushed.

Makes sense if you have a all electric car which will have a massive battery but for a petrol or diesel car does this make much sense ? Sure you might save a bit of money on fuel but the battery on these type of cars is more expensive than a standard battery, of even more importance is the constant wear on the starter motor, if that needs replacing any money saved on fuel will be lost on paying for the supply and fitting on a new starter motor.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
22 REPLIES 22
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 185

Re: Stop..Start

Some modern cars have a system that stops the engine if the car is stationery after a short time and then starts automatically once the accelerator pedal is pushed.

For a manual gearbox, they actually stop as soon as the car is stationary, in neutral and clutch released and start as soon as the clutch is pressed. Haven't driven many autos, but the ones I have, stopped when stationary and the brake pedal pressed, starting as soon as the brake pedal is released. Don't like it at all on autos, beacuse if you go from brake to throttle for a quick getaway, there's a definite pause while the engine starts!

As regards battery life and wear,   lets say I use it on my company car which only has to last 2 years but I don't use it much on SWMBO's car which I normally keep for a few years.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 19

Surely an automatic only has two pedals and for a bipedal person, it's reasonably easy to release the brake and press the accelerator simultaneously?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It is, and even using the correct procedure of right foot only, it's possible to get from the brake to the throttle in a fraction of a second. That's much faster than the engine can start, hence the pause!. Definitely not a good idea when you are trying to make a quick entry onto a busy main road from a side streetRoll_eyes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles wrote:

Makes sense if you have a all electric car which will have a massive battery but for a petrol or diesel car does this make much sense ? Sure you might save a bit of money on fuel but the battery on these type of cars is more expensive than a standard battery, of even more importance is the constant wear on the starter motor, if that needs replacing any money saved on fuel will be lost on paying for the supply and fitting on a new starter motor.

My Honda Jazz hybrid has such a stop/start system

However, from rest, petrol engine stopped, the Jazz normally moves off instantly in electric mode first, the petrol engine kicking in almost immediately.

Two engines = fast acceleration.

VileReynard
Hero

Do you tow a big computer around to decide when to turn the engine off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

My last car.... the famous SKODA FABIA 1.9 DIESEL, had a very intelligent system installed, that could determine how long the vehicle was stationary at certain traffic lights, and would shut down the engine.. It restarted the engine as soon as the yellow/orange/amber traffic light showed that the next light was going to be green.... It helped to save a lot of wasted fuel, and lowered the emissions.

My current car... another famous SKODA FABIA 1.6 Diesel, has the same system installed, and it still works perfectly, at all the previous traffic lights. and is beginning to learn new places where it can be effective.

I had my last car for about 10 years, and only replaced the battery once... after about 2 years .. due to the original battery that was fitted, giving up one cold and frosty morning... it was then 7 years old. ! the starter motor was never replaced, although the car was over 15 years old, when traded in for the current car

The system in use in the current car is

ME !... Smiley

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My 2016 Fiesta ecoboost has the stop-start system, and apart from my mechanical sympathies about the additional wear and tear, it drives me nuts, especially when I am in a long queue of traffic and only moving a few yards at a time.

Without it Ford wouldn't have been able to achieve the 99g CO2/km and the zero road tax that used to go with it (although how they managed to achieve their official fuel consumption figures I have no idea! Crazy2)

Great little motor actually, although my setting off routine always includes pressing the start-stop over-ride button! Embarrassed

Strat
Fixes: 506

I've only driven one, my son's Merc, Liverpool to Sheffield.

I kept thinking I'd stalled it Embarrassed

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

My Peugeot 308 has the Puretech 130 petrol engine with stop / start fitted.

Even with the system disabled with the dash button I'm still getting around 50 mpg average without any effect of driving performance.

With the stop / start system active the engine restarts as soon as the clutch pedal is pressed down & before ive managed to get the car in gear, the system really is quick to restart the engine.

I'm still trying to work out how PSA can get 130 BHP & 230 Nm of torque out of a 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol engine & still easily return around 50 mpg average.
VileReynard
Hero

So, whilst waiting at the lights, if you press the clutch and the brake (so you can leave it in gear) the Peugeot stop/start system would be defeated?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

All of the manual gearbox ones I've driven won't stop unless you release the clutch ( and obviously to do that you need to be in neutral )

billnotben
Community Veteran

@shutter wrote:

ME !... Smiley

Works for ME too.

PowerLee
Pro

If your sitting still with the car in gear with the clutch in all your achieving is shortening the life of your clutch release bearing.

Handbrake applied & in neutral while stationary.