cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Complaining about a Little Snow

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Stop Complaining about a Little Snow

Metal studded tyres are standard in Scandinavia, salt alone would not work as temperatures drop below the freezing point of salted water.
First time you go there and being driven by taxi drivers at 100kph on icey roads tend to make you nervous. But then driving on studded tyres, you realise how good they are. It is mandatory to have two sets of tyres / wheels - and about October to April you have to have the studded tyres fitted.
Down side is the metal studs destroy the road surface, so come the spring, you see virtually every road skimmed and resurfaced, so very expensive.
But great fun. My recommendation is to forget going on holiday to hot climates, but have a winter holiday in Scandinavia, especially to the north of Norway, Sweden or Finland. The cold there is generally more bearable than here, as the winds are less, at least in Finland, so less chill factor. And you can have a drive of snowmobiles etc etc on frozen lakes - driving on them at 100kph - great fun.  Grin Grin Grin
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Devastating pictures Strat.  One of the reports today said that some fires that had been extinguished were being re-ignited by arsonists - wouldn't you just love to catch up with one of them Angry
Rescuers were also finding people dead in their cars, including a whole family, where they had left it too late to evacuate.  
Highlighted
Grafter

I think they should round up the arsonists and sentence them to death.
By burning of course.
Highlighted
Fixes: 471

Presumably they thought it was fun Angry

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Metal studded tyres are standard in Scandinavia, salt alone would not work as temperatures drop below the freezing point of salted water.

Believe the requirement in Scandinavian countries are for winter tyres and Oslo are actively discourage the use of studded tyres.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

So they have, but then Oslo may be milder than some other places in Sweden. Even Southern Finland has been milder than a few years ago. I remember the local complaining it was milder than a few years ago :-), with just slushy snow . I've not been there this year, sadly.