Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Complaining about a Little Snow

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 144

Re: Stop Complaining about a Little Snow

Not really had much snow here in South Cheshire, I've been able to get into the office all week , no problem ( what a shame I could have done with a day or two at home! ).
Highlighted
Grafter

don't wish to sound smug but not had any snow  where i live. [ thank goodness] 
i am sure that my yorkie would have loved it..
i did purchase some grippers for my shoes tho' just in case... Roll_eyes
Highlighted
Grafter

to Poppy, Jmdlp and Firefly2,  you women should look at these BBC Essex snow pics, lots of small dogs and good pics - 76 total  http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/content/image_galleries/snow_february_2009_gallery.shtml
Highlighted
Grafter

Errr wherabouts in the country are you firefly2 as I didn't anywhere had escaped.
Highlighted
Grafter

Strat reminded me of the winter of 1947 ....I had to walk to school which was about 2 miles in that winter...of course the schools never closed for snow!
What a bunch of softies we have nowadays....even our  Yorkshire  people have turned soft. Embarrassed
Highlighted
Grafter

Nah, the kids in Yorkshire still have a 25mile walk to school every day, uphill on their way there, and on their way home.
Then they spend 37hrs a day in class, before leaving at lunchtime to work in t'mill or down t'pit for 48hrs a day.
If they are lucky they can play football with an old tin can for 12seconds a day.
*And* they think they have it easy.

**May not be true
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,101

Quote from: community
..even our  Yorkshire  people have turned soft. Embarrassed

As a Yorkshireman living abroad (Midlands) I got my kids to school which was one of the few open ones, One class had 10 turn up and the other had 15, both should be 30.
we live one of the furthest out too. The teachers made the effort to get in most living further away from the school than the kids
It is all getting soft, my nephew got sent home from school because he had cold feet. Pathetic...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Grafter

Just checked the website of my old school/workplace and they're closed today.
They've cancelled my hsopital appointment too and I know they semt everyone home from work early yesterday but we have had fresh snow falling since 7.15 this morning and they aren't at all prepared in MK
Highlighted
Not applicable

Community is correct  - winters seemed to be far worse when I was a little 'un and I can't remember not going to school. Mind you, folk didn't have cars then and travelled by tram or bus so the roads were not so quick to get snarled up. Trouble with Sheffield is that like Rome, it is built on 7 hills and even if you live on a bit of flat terrain you can't go far before you get to a hill - makes it very difficult for motorists and people are loathe to walk these days.
Highlighted
Grafter

Just because I was interested to know how far it was... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Wyke+Crescent&daddr=A641%2FHuddersfield+Rd+to:Rip...
I used to walk 1.6miles to middle school (incidentally, the *first* middle school Maggie opened - its since been demolished and is now houses) whilst I was in years 5&6 [first stop on route above]
And it was a full 3.6miles to CTC which was the secondary school I attended for 2 years. [end of route above]
After I moved house/schools, it was only a poxy 1mile to school, although some folks still took the bus!
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo

As a Yorkshireman living abroad

Why on earth did you want to leave the Green Dales of Yorkshire?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Enjoyed that one techguy Grin Grin
You're still around then?
Highlighted
Grafter

Yes in between studying.
Highlighted
Fixes: 1,101

Quote from: techguy
Why on earth did you want to leave the Green Dales of Yorkshire?

Who said anything about want? I was an economic migrant  Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
Yes in between studying.

I'm not seeing any evidence of any studying going on going by how active you've been recently!