cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stoopid Yanks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Stoopid Yanks

Watched a programme on the telly yesterday, called " Caught Red Handed "    it was about shoplifting in the USA... where a couple  guys had set themselves up in a business to aid shop owners to track down their shoplifting losses....  great idea... .... fix up cameras....watch what is going on... and then nab the bad guys...
however... most of the  shopkeepers ( although having large stores, with multiple levels, and a fair number of staff, and security cameras already, were still losing stock, to the bad guys... when these two "good guys" come along, and catch them in the act... they just grab hold of them, and make them give the stuff back to the owners... and tell them not to come back  ! ! !
HUH ! Huh
At a rather well known, apparently, large music store, they had a problem with $300 and $400  L.P`s .... like Pink Floyd, and Beatles, etc.. mint copies, being half inched !.d... in comes the good guys with their cameras and expertise.... they spot a couple of baddies doing their stuff... and actually called the cops and handed them over...  but they still did not know how the l.p`s were going missing...  until.... they spotted one guy... who handed over 4 or 5 l.p.s to an assistant and  paid for them ... and walked out the shop...  doing an inventory the next day.  they find that big money l.p.s have gone... ! ! !
ah so.. the assistant and the guy must be working something...... yeah... set up a camera... and sure enough ... she only properly scans a cheap LP.. but appears to scan the others...  catching the bad guy outside... they check his receipt and proves he only paid for one l.p..   when asked... he said he didn`t realise it , cos he did not know how many lps he had bought.... ? ? ? ?    ( oh really  ? ).... when the girl was brought out... he then started to say it was her idea, so they could build up a cheap L.P. collection...  ! ! !...  they were both handed over to the police...
Great stuff... a few more baddies off the streets... BUT>..  question in my mind....  
WHY... did the store keep the l.p.s in the sleeves on display. ??     not sure when I last bought a CD or even a record... but I do remember having to pick up the sleeve, and go to pay for  it before I actually got hold of the good bit ! ! !...
Stoopid Yanks...    
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Stoopid Yanks

WHY... did the store keep the l.p.s in the sleeves on display. ??    not sure when I last bought a CD or even a record... but I do remember having to pick up the sleeve, and go to pay for  it before I actually got hold of the good bit ! ! !...

This is true, I remember doing that as well when I actually went in to a store to buy LPs / CD. But in this case it wouldn't make any difference if the LPs / CDs were stored elsewhere as the dodgy assistant would still be able to fill the sleeves with the correct and valuable LPs and steal them with her accomplice.
IIRC I'm sure I saw that episode and the store was huge, with mezzanine floors etc, so image the size of storage they'd need to store the LPs / CDs outside of their original packing. Not worth the money versus what gets stolen I guess.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter

WHY... did the store keep the l.p.s in the sleeves on display. ??     not sure when I last bought a CD or even a record... but I do remember having to pick up the sleeve, and go to pay for  it before I actually got hold of the good bit ! ! !...

most records are stored in their sleeves on the shelf in record stores to avoid them being damaged, though to be fair the last time I went into a record store any discs that were worth more than £100 were in locked display stands  or displayed on stands behind the counter /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
shylok
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Tesco recently jumped on the vinyl revival bandwagon, see how they solve the issue aswell as devaluing it at the same time
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I guess they ran out of sticky-label RFID tags... Grin