Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen cars

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Stolen cars

I  see a report in the paper today that the theft of cars has increased. Coincidentally this morning I received a e-mail from my local councillor about the local crime figures for our area ( this arrives every week) . It reported Six cars been stolen in the last week in our area. All high value cars ( range rovers and audi A3's). Very uncommon for  any cars to be stolen in our area. Seems the report could be right. ( ps all stolen without keys not house broken into and keys taken and car driven away! ).Shocked

100 REPLIES 100
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Re: Stolen cars

Yes, that's the down side to having 'not so' smart tech on your car. Who needs keys when you can use a scanner and relay!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Reminds me, when I find some work I would like to get my Merc back on the road which parked on my drive.

Dad used to own it, and had a thing about getting a tracker installed on it. So it got installed and they warned us that we need to tell them if the car is moved without the engine running. It sets off an alarm with them apparaently (I assume so).

Obviously that warns them of the non-legit reason for moving a car like that, but of course there are legit ones in case you break down.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Mook wrote:

Yes, that's the down side to having 'not so' smart tech on your car. Who needs keys when you can use a scanner and relay!

That reminds me of the time many years ago I went to a small sub-post office / shop once to avoid queuing at the main one and there was a fairly elderly late middle-aged woman in there who was despairingly explaining to the postmistress that she'd just locked her keys in her car outside. Their conversation revealed that she'd have to wait for her husband to get home from work to get into the house to get the spare key, but that would be about four hours later.

So, having conducted my business I followed her outside to see which car was hers (I may have asked her - can't remember) - but when I saw it I thought to myself "no problem".

I had a couple of well-worn old-type VW keys on my key-ring so I walked over to her car stuck one of those in the drivers door lock (usually the most worn) and just turned it with (ISTR) hardly any jiggling required.

It only took a second and I just said to her "There you go".

She asked me how I did that but I just smiled, got in my car and left.  In those days many people didn't realise how insecure their car door-locks were.

And the car?  An old (even then) Morris Marina.  Say no more.

Mook
Champion

@RobPN wrote:

And the car?  An old (even then) Morris Marina.  Say no more.

Whose stock of old door handles were recycled on the original Range Rover.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

and... car thieves were not so "intelligent" back then either...

When we were living and travelling on the canals, I used to park my Austin Allegro as near to the boat mooring as possible.. mainly for convenience of getting to and from with shopping... . the ignition key hole in the steering column was busted... so I removed the cowling under the steering column... and made a "hot wire" ignition switch by unclipping the connector block and using a couple of paper clips in the respective connectors... worked brill ....

One dark night... some [-Censored-].. opened the car, and tried to steal it...  found they could not start it.. so they pulled the paperclips out, and plugged it back together again... obvs ... it still would not start... .. so they nicked the 50p that was in the centre console, and left the car  ! !  

Doh ! ! !...

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

They stole the 50p?? That's all the value the car had!!! 🤣

Alex
Community Veteran

Yeah well thives are not exactly renowned for their intelligence are they?

You'd be suprised that older cars can be worth money now. About 6 months ago I saw a car drive past with an old E plate. It is legal to have the old black and silver writing on a car registered before 1973 I believe. So it ended with an E.

I said to a good friend of mine, who works with cars:

Me: "I saw this car drive past with an original E plate, looked immaculate!, how old is that?"
Him "1963".
Me: "I bet that is worth some money?".
Him: "Yes".

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@Alex Sorry, your mate was wrong 'E' suffix plates are January-July 1967.  1963 (February-December) would be 'A' and not all areas switched to the 'year' suffix until 1964 'B'.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

They stole the 50p?? That's all the value the car had!!! 🤣

Perhaps he weighed up his options.. nick the car... drive home... get busted for all sorts of things..

nick the 50 p... easy... catch the bus... and live to tell another tale ! ! !>.

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@shutter Did he take the paper clips as well...... he could have weighed them in at scrap yard also and made more money.FunnyThumbs_Up

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Car thief being interviewed on tv....asked was there any car he would not steal ?

Replied....yes a Lada.

When asked why he said....

One of my mates might see me driving it.

😃

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

@TTman wrote:

@shutter Did he take the paper clips as well...... he could have weighed them in at scrap yard also and made more money.FunnyThumbs_Up

No... !   Fortunately for me... he left them in the footwell... so I just had to replace them in the correct connector holes, and all was well again...

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @jab1 

I didn't know so I didn't look it up beforehand I posted.

Yep @shutter what can you get for 50p nowadays. Maybe the thief bought themselves a Mars Bar? 😀

Been years since I ate chocolate, so I don't know what they cost now. 

PowerLee
Pro

Most modern car thefts without keys are done via plugging a device in to the EOBD port.

Thanks to EU anti competition laws, car manufacturers are not allowed to lock access to the diagnostic port - it means any Tom, Dick or Harry can plug there device in to the port to bypass deadlocks, alarm & immobiliser.

Owners need to protect the port electronically to stop unauthorised diagnostic equipment connecting to the car.

Relay theft on keyless cars is also an issue but newer keyless fobs are appearing with technology to stop this.