Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen cars

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Stolen cars

Friction; it causes many problems where it's not wanted, like a lack of wheels on a road surface...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Anonymous wrote:

And you would do well to stop telling others how to behave.

It seems someones worried they're losing their job!  Roll_eyes

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

We all know the less friction there is the better, as things move along so much better without it, shame it doesn't seem to apply to some members of the forum!

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mook wrote:
shame it doesn't seem to apply to some members of the forum!

Yes indeed.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Mook 

Which is why I have been giving the forum a wide berth for a few weeks but as noted, the grinding just continued anyway. 

The conclusion of course is obvious. 

Ah well. 

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well, this was well on track until it was derailed by an unwarranted question to the lack of wheels causing a car not to move, it's simple enough to figure out, 50% of wheels missing means it's going to be hard to get moving, especially on an old Ford which probably had little more power than a 2CV...

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@twocvbloke wrote:

especially on an old Ford which probably had little more power than a 2CV...

The old ford was ever so slightly more powerful at 109bhp compared to the 2cv6 at 29bhp... 

Highlighted
Hero

@Minivanman 

Just to put you in the picture, during your absence, prior to a point about three weeks ago, there were a quiet couple of months with just the 'normal' level of disagreement, but the last three weeks or so have seen several threads being removed.

Must have been an oil leak or something because that friction problem appeared again. and it's been all downhill since then.

Very few threads actually exist (i.e those that haven't already been removed) where a certain element has participated.

I guess this one might be next for the chop.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

You are right there.

This one had an automatic gearbox and one where the reverse completely packed up in the end so whether is was sort of slipping in someway beforehand I don't know. All I do recall was it used a system called a torque converter? 

Way out of my depth anyway, but a nice car while it lasted. 

@RobPN 

Thanks for the heads up as they say.

Enough for the day anyway, I'm off to see if I still have a couple of beers in the fridge!

Enjoy your evening guys.... well most of you anyway. 😉

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

All I do recall was it used a system called a torque converter? 

No expert in auto-boxes myself (they seem to employ witchcraft to work in my opinion!!!), but the majority of them use torque-converters, no idea what that part does, but they have them, I prefer manual, more control over the speed, revs and power, so long as the driver is experienced in driving properly of course...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

The old ford was ever so slightly more powerful at 109bhp compared to the 2cv6 at 29bhp... 

Bearing in mind the state of the car was not factory-fresh, so that 109 horses, if the engine was in tip-top shape with no blow-by past the rings from wear & tear, may not have actually gotten to the wheels where it matters, especially through an auto-box of the era which tended to lose a lot power & torque from engine to wheels in order to power the pumps to shove the transmission fluids about, so what the wheels got, who knows without going back in time to put it on a dyno to measure its power output...

Knowledge is power after all... 😉

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 50

Put simply, a torque converter does the job a clutch does in a manual car.
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Highlighted
Hero

@twocvbloke wrote:

... I prefer manual, more control over the speed, revs and power, so long as the driver is experienced in driving properly of course...

Well that's got the thread back on track - "Drive it like you stole it!"  as they say  Wink

Highlighted
Hero

@Browni wrote:

But with more 'slippage' !  Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Browni wrote:

Well, that's simple enough then, if that's worn out, just like with a manual clutch, there'll be less power to get going... 😂

It's actually funny to think that across the pond, it's better to own a so-called "stick shift" as the auto-box is so prolific that the crims are too dumb to work out how to drive a manual car, making them less of a target...