cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stirring the tea

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Stirring the tea

In the mornings, I make a pot of tea, using a big brown china tea pot, and two tea bags.... only fill it half full, then "automatically" stir the liquid inside.

Am I wasting my effort?   the thought occurred to me that the water inside the tea bags will not be displaced, in the centrfugal movement of the "outside" water, being stirred.  therefore there will be no benefit or stronger "brew" by doing the ritual.

Anyone got any ideas if this is a worthwhile activity ? or not..   Your explanations will be very interesting. I am sure ! ! ..

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Stirring the tea

Squeeze the bags against the side of the pot for a distinct improvement! Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

Just before I put the teapot down and put on the cosy I give the pot a swirl.

I think it makes a difference because the tea is noticeable darker after the swirl.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Brownian motion is the main feature of brewing tea (high speed hot water molecules impacting the tea leaves)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtczIb-iFc

Stirring after some time will assist in evenly mixing the results

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

Tea bags were not designed for teapots, they were designed for mugs.

All you have (other than looking nice) is a colder cup of tea because of heat dispersal and an extra piece of crockery to wash up. Do the Japanese use teabags in those ceremonies of thiers? I think not.

Whatever next, coffee jar granules in a percolator? Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Teapot ?

There are some posh folks on this forum ...... bet the tea is poured into a china cup on a china saucer, not forgetting the silver spoon or tray the above items are placed on.

For us tea bag in mug, hot water in mug 30 seconds, tea bag lifted in and out of water 3 times, not squashing tea bag.

Add milk and stir, job done.

This does not address the question asked simply because I do not know the answer.

Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

We are not posh enough for pots in our house.

A must in the days of loose tea and tea strainers as well as being a great British tradition like bubble and squeak, bog snorkelling, and broken biscuits  - but tea bags in teapots, what's the point? 

Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Even though I am a Coffee drinker, Her indoors likes her tea made in her mug , not in the teapot , which is now consigned to a corner in the kitchen cupboard.
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

but tea bags in teapots, what's the point? 

One bag in a small teapot equals three cups plus. And given a short time to brew no it's not weak tea.

Also I've always found a teabag in a cup seems to impart a papery taste to the tea.

I love bubble and squeak.Smiley