Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still not enough.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Still not enough.

Plans to double the penalty points and fines for using mobile phone while driving is not enough in my opinion. It should be an immediate one year ban and a fine of at least £500.

What do others think?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/17/penalty-points-fines-double-drivers-using-mobile-phone...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
66 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Still not enough.

I'm all in favour of stiffer penalties for people holding a mobile to their ear whilst driving and anyone texting, or reading a text, should get an immediate ban.

That said I've nothing against people using a proper handsfree device.

Biggest problem is people know they are unlikely to get caught.

Minivanman
Hero

Well yes, hands free for talking but only of they are of the 'built in' variety. As for texting that is still going to be an issue whatever way you dress it up and believe it or not, a while back I saw an ambulance driver on his mobile phone..... and two days after I saw a police patrol car chucking a food wrapper out of his window. Nice eh?   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 47

When in the car I have my phone in a clip on the dashboard.

I have a factory fitted basic cd/radio so cannot link my phone to it. If it rings I hit answer and speakerphone.

The other day I took a call which lasted less than 30 seconds.

Afterwards I was concious of having travelled a few hundred yards and couldn't say what I had passed.

There could have been a Pirelli calendar photo shoot going on at the side of the road, I wouldn't have seen it.

My attention was predominantly on the call and not the road ahead albeit a familiar straight road I have used many times.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I`m in the car...( as a driver )... My phone is switched off............ 

Minivanman
Hero

If I have it with me I leave mine switch on to take any messages, I just don't answer it.

Community Veteran

The penalty should include an automatic and immediate 30 day ban on driving. The lesson will be learned.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

And how would you enforce that?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

should that penalty be for all driving offences?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

From comments in the Times re the same subject

Chris Grayling, the transport secretary, said: “We need to take responsibility for our actions and, as drink or drug driving has become socially unacceptable, so must using mobile phones at the wheel.

Socially unacceptable? So, it has to be 'socially unacceptable' before thought is given to be doing something about it. Why not criminal lunacy? Another example of the Government acting at the speed of a striking snail.

Time - high time - to amend the law so that it will no longer be illegal to use a mobile phone when a motor car is: 

(A) Stationary, and 

(B) Has its gearbox in Neutral, and

(C) Has its handbrake engaged, and 

(D) Its engine is running, especially in cold weather, and especially when its nightie, especially for the security of female drivers - who might otherwise become the victims of an attempted car-jacking attack, etc. 

OPINION:  If the law were to be focused on  MOVING  motor cars etc, then it's more likely to be repeated, to be enforced, and that lives would be saved.  

and I agree with them

Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:
... penalty be for all driving offences?

You might have a good idea there chenks76, though I would restrict it to moving traffic violations.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally I think it's disgusting that people use their phones while driving knowing full well how dangerous it is. I keep my phone in my pocket so that i can't even be tempted to answer it (when you're sitting at almost 90 degrees the pocket creases up restricting access to it).

The only time I might use it is if i've got it in the phone holder thats attached to the windscreen (eg navigation) and someone rings but even then, I feel uncomfortable taking my eyes off the road to swipe to answer and hit speakerphone so most of the time i ignore it. Obviously if i'm stuck in traffic at the lights etc then it's fair game and speakerphone is like a passenger in the car (except passengers tend to know when they need to let you concentrate). So yeah truth be told i'm not even overly happy using speakerphone / bluetooth unless i can keep it quick.

As for how to punish motorists that do it, I'm with AA - am immediate ban (or at least a ban after going to court) would probably suffice along with a double cost fine of £120 and SIX points.

There is no need to put others lives at risk just so you don't have to put your social / work life on hold for a few minutes.

What really sizzles my bacon is seeing people pull out their phones and start texting / using the internet at the lights... they know it's wrong but they just don't give a damn. Ashamedly it tends to be people of my generation (and younger) who are the worst abusers of phones in cars.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

one wonders why it isn't socially unacceptable to fiddle with car stereos or light up a cigarette whilst in control of a moving vehicle.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Because it can't be seen from the window.. well the stereo anyway. That any you tend to memorise the button positions or have controls at the wheels. Even then using the stereo buttons from memory is taking your concentration from the road.. but like i said.. others can't see it.

Lighting up.. never understood that. I've known people take both hands off the wheel to make a roll up and light it. They'd be the first to blame the other driver though if they made an emergency stop.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Most new modern cars are Connected Smiley  or smart cars , i have bluetooh connected phone no hands required , and the clever lady even reads your text msg Wink and will type back while you dictate

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .