Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticky Radio Problem

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sticky Radio Problem

In our bedroom we have a  Pure internet radio. It has a hard black matt case. My wife has noticed the case has acquired a slightly sticky feel, but nothing is obvious. Could it be a result of the hot weather? I can't think it's us, as it's not handled with dirty mitts.

Wiping it does nothing, so what suggestion can anybody make for its cleaning, please?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
3 REPLIES 3
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Sticky Radio Problem

If it is "parked" in the sun......... i.e. in a window space, where the sun comes in all day,...then the plastic ( or the lacquer finish/ surface ) has probably deteriorated, due to the heat... it is quite something when black items are left in the sun, even for short period of time..

As for "cleaning" it.... dunno !... maybe leave it in a cooler place... to see if the plastic ( or lacquer finish/surface)  resettles back to original,... if so,  some serious work with a sander may be possible, and then a coat of good furntiure polish..... but keep it out of the sun from then on ...

harrym1byt
Rising Star

If it originally had a soft rubbery surface, then all those finishes go the same way - even softer and much stickier. All you can do is put up with it or chuck it away. A dusting of talc might help though.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

If it originally had a soft rubbery surface, then all those finishes go the same way - even softer and much stickier.

I had a couple of BT branded Binatone DECT handsets which were described as 'rubberised' and which looked as described when they were new.  However it didn't take much handling and sliding into a trouser pocket for the very thin rubberised coating, which turned out to be about as thick as a coat of paint, to wear away in several places..

When that happened it started to make the handsets look a little tatty so I decided to rub it all off which was quite easy using a bit of cotton rag.

Edit: corrected brand name.