Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stick 'em Up

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Stick 'em Up

Only in America... for now.
It’s illegal for police to attach a GPS unit to your car without a warrant, as the U.S. Supreme Court settled in 2012.
But that only applies to investigations – if the cops are in hot pursuit of a bank robber or other escaping criminal that threatens public safety, a GPS tracker is fair game.
But exactly how can cops GPS track a vehicle that’s already in motion?
Police Shoot Cars With GPS Tags to Reduce High-Speed Chases
The newest less-than-lethal weapon in the arsenal of law enforcement doesn't contain cayenne pepper or tear gas—
it's a sticky, GPS-tipped slug.

To reduce the need for dangerous, high-speed car chases, police across the country are discreetly shooting GPS tags onto vehicles attempting to flee.
The suspects' whereabouts are then plotted on a digital map so officers can cut them off, follow them home, or watch them from a safe distance.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/police-shoot-cars-with-gps-tags-to-reduce-h...
http://www.starchase.com/howitworks.html

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Stick 'em Up

Supplemented by Excalibur GPS guided smart artillery shells no doubt.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
WTF
Grafter

To be fair, given the choice between the car getting shot with a GPS tracker or full metal jacket rounds, I think I'd pick the former  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK
Only in America... for now.

I doubt it would ever happen here due to our health and safety laws. The americans are crazy in that respect because they don't really care as long as it gets the job done. As long as they do their deed stuff anyone else!
Here in the UK police don't carry firearms except tazers and those are rare. I don't see the UK police taking the risk of firing projectiles at other cars in case they hit a passer by instead.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

So the bad guys pull up beside a field full of cows and stick the tracker on one.
Later the police surround the field and shout through a megaphone...."THROW DOWN YOUR WEAPON AND COME OUT WITH YOUR HOOVES UP"
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro

its not exactly a new thing though, for nearly 15 years they were just checking if its got OnStar and using the on-board tracking system to do the job, overhear they have other options that are just as simple (do you have a satnav registered against your vehicle?)
that's why they had to resort to firing tags at cars, people no longer opt for a vehicle with OnStar and crims tend to disable the system when they see its fitted, the law enforcement gimps have adapted to the evolving threat matrix and now people are crying about it again .....
oh and good luck finding the tracking dot once its on your vehicle its not like they are large some of them aren't even 5 mm in diameter, never mind they come in a range of colour match's to most standard paint jobs ....
end of the day who really cares unless there guilty ? the only reason such things aren't fitted as factory standard is that would diminish the need for so many coppers
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
end of the day who really cares unless there guilty ?

Well I didn't think the police out there in the civilised wild west could determine someones guilt or innocence so thats come as a total surprise to me!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

if there tagging a car its occupant is guilty of something......
guilt isn't determined by conviction in court, the court proceedings merely formalise there criminality and assign a sentence for the crime that's been committed hence why I didn't use the term criminal......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you