cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stereo Music

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Stereo Music

I am old enough to remember when Stereo Music became "fashionable" in the way that music was presented on vinyl records....I remember when you would hear part of the group in one ear.... the other ear would get the rest of the group... ( or band/orchestra ) and the artiste would "appear" somewhere in the middle.....  I have come to the conclusion that in the past 15 years or so... this has been "dumbed down"... and now the "noise" is equally divided into two earholes, with no distinction for the old "left" channel... low freqs.... "right" channel higer freqs... and the artist or lead musician to be in both channels.......
Or am I (not) hearing things  ? ? ? 
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Stereo Music

it depends on the production.
there is still music produced where both channels are used where some is left and some is right and some passes between the two.
however left for low and right for high is not something i've ever experienced.
low frequency (or bass) or non-direction anyway, and ideally should have it's own channel.... 2.1 audio for music is the ideal.
Fixes: 47

I spent a few years working behind a 24 channel mixing desk.
The band comprised 2 keyboards, 1 bass guitar, 1 rhythm/lead guitar, drums and 2 singers.
Myself and the keyboard player often had discussions about where to position the keyboards on the sound stage, on the right channel as per their physical position or spread across the sound stage as a back drop.
I could mix everything down to a mono channel and feed that to both PA channels so that wherever someone sat in the hall, they heard everything.
I actually mixed everything to my taste, panning the DI feeds across the sound stage, thinking to myself 'if you want to sit with your ear against one of the PA speakers that's your business.
I have a CD somewhere with the entire Beatles collection on it and listening to some tracks they are clearly the old stereo, virtually two mono tracks fed to left or right as appropriate.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Music, or the recordings of, has become too sterile. I have a friend with an old 3 part stereo system ( deck, amplifier and tuner)and he played me some old Beatles 45's through it.  Then for comparison played the same 'tracks' from CD through his CD Stereo system.  There was no comparison.  The old vinyl won hands down.  
So yes, I think the sound is totally different now.  I can see why vinyl is coming back in fashion.  
See this for an explanation of why Vinyl records  mirror the original sound's waveform, and CD's are limited by their sampling rate.  Very informative article.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The trouble is that digital cannot reproduce the same analogue sounds that pure analog can produce.
Don't get me wrong, it does the job, it just doesn't do all the detail.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

but with the majority of music being created digitally, there aren't many true analogue sounds anyway.
even the classic guitar band digitises a lot of their sounds (U2 being the worst at it).
so there is a school of thought that the detail simply isn't there to begin with.
Community Veteran

I suppose that might depend on the bitrate used to record it in the first place. Most CDs / MP3s use a bitrade of 328 max... but recording studios do things differently than the home user so i wouldn't be surprised if they used a much higher bitrate.
I suspect nanotm will be able to confirm... Wink
Community Veteran

This video is the nearest I can come to something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYX52BP2Sk
Just put yer cans on.... and  enjoy ! ! ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I do enjoy listening to my records, they sound better than digital music, yeah you get the naysayers proclaiming "But it's crackling and popping and hissing!!", but the human brain's a clever device (shame that most people don't use theirs!!) in that it filters out the noise so that it sounds great and causes a nice eargasm with the right music tracks... Smiley
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I spent over 20 years mixing Broadcast TV Sound & Music in Stereo, and Dolby 5.1
Often live, but more likely recorded.
From simple 3 piece bands in Pseudo Stereo, all the way up to a Full Orchestra in Real Stereo, L-R and M-S formats recorded onto Video Tape.
In Band Rooms, Studios, on Stage and generally in the Open Air.
Plus also, not forgetting other Stereo sourced events, such as Live Sport, coverage of live events such as County Shows, and just plain Interviews.
And of course, many, many Drama Productions.

To take up Shutters' point, very little simulated pseudo Stereo in my experience, my time was after Beatles Recordings.

I general, working for Broadcast TV companies, and Events, the Stereo mix would complement and follow the pictures.
Often, for Classical and Orchestral work, there would be just a coincident pair Stereo Microphone, placed near the Conductors position, quite high up.
Complemented by a few "spot" mics, to favour some solo instruments.
For shows such as Opportunity Knocks, the band would be in a Bandroom, not seen in vision, and different sections would be individually mic'd up, and panned to be near their respective positions in the band.
There would be some spill between mics, which would also enhance the peudo Stereo.
For many Sports & other external events, such as Music Concerts, the main mix would be in Mono (Central) with Audience & field of play mics providing an overall Stereo sound atmosphere.
This goes for Drama too....
Dialogue central, Atmos in Stereo.

Nothing beats the Adrenaline rush, sat in front of a 144 Channel mixing desk, covering Live Music, or some of the Major live SKY Sports events.
( Having set up all the communications too, between location, BT and the relevant Broadcaster !)

Yes, I do miss it at times, but not the long days, and travelling at all hours of the Night to get to, and return from Location!
Community Veteran

Anybody else got a "life history" they need to publish  ?  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Dragged this one up.... again.... because I have found a wonderful source of the old "stereo sounding music"...... left and  right channels, and also sound in the "top of the head".. !  ( didn`t know I had an ear up there ! ! )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8oYMv-YR6k
For pure nostalgia... put your cans on and relax.... !  Smiley

Also this one......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p38aqKnV3L8
Community Veteran

Youtube supports stereo?  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Rubbish quality compared to the same track on Spotify
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

A lot depends on your PC sound chip .
i have a good separate soundcard  asus phoebus , also a set of 5.1 headphones  and the sound is awesome Smiley  especially with the Dolby home theater on
Shutter try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWO_eojWezg real  sound from two sides Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .