cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steer by wire cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Steer by wire cars

The BBC reports Nissan are bringing out steer by wire cars.  A bit like my old soap box cart I built when I was 8 years old?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Steer by wire cars

No, not at all like the old soapbox cart.  No direct mechanical link from the steering wheel to the steering.
On the other hand,  'fly by wire' have been commonplace on commercial airliners for quite a few years so it is proven safe technology (as long as the same level of 'fail-safe' protection is built in).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: w23
as long as the same level of 'fail-safe' protection is built in

I don't think parachutes are much use when travelling in a car sideways down the M1 at 70mph Wink
Volvo has also incorporated the facility in tests of its self-drive "road train" concept, which involves a convoy of cars using drive-by-wire tech to mimic the actions of a lead vehicle.

Something that has been discussed with regard to air travel using one flight crew in the lead aircraft followed by a number of crewless aircraft.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

When were you last offered a parachute when traveling abroad on holiday?  Crazy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Having only flown on one holiday in my life...never Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I don't think parachutes are much use when travelling in a car sideways down the M1 at 70mph Wink

And even less so in a commercial airliner at 36,000ft altitude and 10 times that speed.  Cry
(which is why they're not supplied, I guess)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: w23
No, not at all like the old soapbox cart.  ...

On my favourite soapbox cart we did in fact use a length of wire to effect the steering system. Sisal filled and plastic coated washing line did not perform well; leading to visits to my mother's first aid kit.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A few years back didn't Mitsubishi have a car in their range with rear-wheel "steering" wasn't this a by-wire system rather than by mechanical linkage?
It is quite so that aircraft have fly-by-wire systems. But its also triple redundant, lets hope the same will apply to it when applied to cars.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.