cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying in touch

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Staying in touch

The topic on Pen Pals reminds me that sometimes when you go on Holiday and meet like minded people you / or they suggest keeping in touch or planning a joint holiday together, it's not something we have ever done but know several couples who have either kept in touch or planned their holidays to meet with people they had previously met.
Is it something you have ever done or would do ?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Staying in touch

No.  Cheesy
Fixes: 124

When I went to the South of France in the early 80's I chatted up a girl who happened to be a friend of the pal I went with - small world.
On the same holiday I ended up in hospital after being struck on the head by something kicked up by a lawnmower. After a week the stitches had to come out but the local quacks wanted the equivalent of around £100. We had befriended a couple of which the wife was a nurse and she tended to me and took out the stitches. We planned to keep in touch but it never happened.
I actually think holiday friendships (like romances) are best left behind when you get on the plane home.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I have promised to keep in touch with people but when it comes to it, it rarely seems to happen. I did meet a lady in Italy some years ago and we promised to keep in touch, and actually did for a few weeks then that was it. Sad
Community Veteran

It's something we've never done. We've always been of the opinion that the holiday acquaintances are best left where they were - on holiday!  Smiley
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

What happens on holiday stays on holiday. Smiley
mjltigger

Quote from: artmo
I have promised to keep in touch with people but when it comes to it, it rarely seems to happen. I did meet a lady in Italy some years ago and we promised to keep in touch, and actually did for a few weeks then that was it. Sad

I / we usually end up befriending people on holiday and there's always the awkward moment when you wonder if you should swap details.. the thing is, I'm pretty rubbish at keeping in touch with people I know in real life... I would never really be able to maintain contact with someone I only met on holiday..
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

We went on holiday to Mauritius a few years ago and met this lovely couple and always went out to restaurants with them and stayed up late chatting.
However they left before us and we exchange details but I mistakenly left the piece of paper they gave that had their email address and phone number, however we never heard from them.
I agree, what happens on holiday, stays on holiday.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I lived in Mauritius for two years.... a local guy made friends with us... and he taught me how to drive... passed my test and we shared many a beer together down in Port Louis and up in Vacoas.  Remember going to the local cinema with him to watch Hindi films in Rose Hill.... Swimming at Tombeau Bay, and Plaisance ,  All night barbecues on the beaches with lots of beer and women !...
He, his lovely wife, and his lovely little girl ( 5 yrs ) emigrated to Australia, and I never did keep in touch with him... shame really... He taught me such a lot about the island, it`s peoples, languages, and traditions...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

How lovely!
We stayed in Blue Bay area which is south of Mauritius, near the Airport.
We stayed in the Shandrani Hotel Spa and Resort and had a great time, we stayed for a month and always will want to go back.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up