cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stay or Go ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Stay or Go ?

We constantly hear about how bad it is in this country along with how much worse it will get.
If all your removal costs were paid and you were not out of pocket by moving, which country would you wish to go to and why ? Or given this chance would you opt to remain here ?
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Stay or Go ?

Easy, I have 3 which would be chosen from:
1) America: Florida, California, the middle desert part.. makes no odds to me really as long as there is work and good weather!
2) Canada: Preferably the southern part though where its a bit warmer. Canada seems quite good at keeping out of other countries problems.
3) Australia: Rich and poor are even out a bit more as the rich are taxed harsher than the poor. The only thing about Oz is the pesky spiders.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Easy I would go to Australia a number of my family lives there.
Fixes: 47

I have relatives in Australia, Canada, the US, Sweden and East Africa so I might well chose Canada.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I would move to Ukraine. My wife's family is there and it is a beautiful country. Although the cost of living is rising quite quickly the people are friendly and property is relatively cheap.
If money was no object then Monaco!!!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you are concerned about high immigration, Canada might not be the place to go.
Many think New Zealand is utopia to live in. However, having spent some time there its not all its cracked up to be. It is undoubtedly a beautiful country to look at but, they are very isolated, practically everything they consume (except food) has to be imported, making the cost of living even higher than it is here. Most students do their OE (overseas experience) and never go back on the principle that the grass is greener.
So where would I want to live? in spite of all its faults I think I would stay here.  
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Mauritius. Indian Ocean...
Because I lived there for 25 months, when I was in the Navy.....
and here is a picture of the bungalow I lived in.... (this was taken only a couple of months ago.. by a local person who I had contact with)
( the number 2390 was the reg number of my first car that I learned to drive in - there were no house numbers way back when! ! )
N/A

That's an easy one - I wouldn't want to go anywhere as I am in the best place already - Yorkshire. The only other county that I would live in (if I was able to) would be Northumberland.
I remember Catherine Gee doing some programmes about folk who had gone to live abroad and were now wondering whether to return home.  They were screened about a year or so ago and it was surprising how many of the subjects opted to return home.  It was a salutary lesson that the grass is not always greener.  I have read that a lot of people are returning to the UK because of economics or illness requiring use of the NHS.
I have occasionally watched that programme where they send people to Australia or New Zealand for a week to see if they like it and want to live there. It really is a bit daft because there are all the crocodile tears about leaving friends and family which is odd because nine times out of ten they opt to emigrate anyway so one wonders how concerned they are about leaving people behind and also the fact that loved ones are going to miss them.  Also, they often end up with very precarious financial situations where they can barely afford to buy a suitable home so have to rent.  Many of them have very young families so the strain of raising them with no support must be quite profound.  It seems that however high the odds are stacked against them, they still opt to move and it is always this idea that they will have a better quality of life.  They are never asked to define what they mean by it though.  Should imagine that if they do wind up going back home they would be quite a bit out of pocket with all the expense of moving.  It all seems a bit incongruous to me.  Huh
johpal
Grafter

I emigrated to Canada in 1977, but returned in 1978. I went to live in the Netherlands in 1979 and stayed for 5 years before doing a couple of years in Saudia Arabia, then back to the Netherlands (where I had a house in Amsterdam). I met my wife in Saudi (she's English), but she couldn't get along with the Dutch language. We then went to the Sultanate of Oman for five years, but decided to return to the UK when the children were of school age. II now live in the same village where I was brought up, less than a mile from my parents house.
To mix a metaphor: The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, but there's always a fly in the ointment.  Cheesy
David_W
Rising Star

Japan, without a doubt.  It has to be the craziest country on the planet but is cutting edge with technology (robot chefs!), nice food, warm people (once you get past the xenophobia) weird music (J-Pop indeed), be nice to settle down in the Japanese country side, in a small town where I could learn the language properly and enjoy watching really insane TV - plus being 6'1 I'd be like a giant over there!
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
It has to be the craziest country on the planet but is cutting edge with technology (robot chefs!)

On that note can I add Atlantis from Stargate Wink Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: johpal
To mix a metaphor: The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, but there's always a fly in the ointment.  Cheesy

Dead right that.
I spent nearly twenty years swanning around the world at my employers expense. There are loads of places that I liked visting and that I would love to go to again. There are few I would choose to move to permanently, because even though I liked visiting them, they all have their disadvantages.
I do have a slight hankering for Slovenia though. It has lovely countryside, pleasent intelligent people, it's on the Adriatic, and suffered surprisingly little physical damage from the Yugoslav conflict. About 15 years ago I worked in Singapore for two years. I would not recommend that - I was bored to tears by the place after the first couple of months. Fortunately, I was able to get away from Singapore regularly as part of my job involved visting other places in the region.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: David
Japan, without a doubt.

I can sympathise with your views. Though I think that their country cousins in South Korea would suit me better. I think the Koreans are a lot warmer in their attitude to foreigners. And they too have fabulous countryside to offer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Strat
I have relatives in Australia, Canada, the US, Sweden and East Africa so I might well chose Canada.

I have relatives in USA, South Africa, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and UK, so would probably choose Norway. Roll eyes, but for now am happy with Derbyshire
David_W
Rising Star

@okrzynska
I'm serious, let me find a video for you.........

It's just one of those countries where the people think outside of the box, their super mega popstar is a computer programme, Vocaloid.