cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statue

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Statue

A life-size statue of Amy Winehouse is to be erected in Camden NW London.
I was never an Amy Winehouse fan, and to me represented all that is bad in the entertainment business (drug misuse and alcoholism)
Leaving my own personal opinions aside, isn't this likely to open a can of worms with fan-clubs of one hit wonders (Amy Whitehouse wasn't a one-hit wonder) trying to find space for a statue of their favourite "stars"
We have already a statue of the Beatles, but they were perhaps a special case, but there could be statues of (Oh no!!) Cheryl Cole or One Direction.
Edit: name corrected
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
16 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Statue

it's not a likeness but there is a statue celebrating Carl Giles life which I wonder would it still be commissioned now as it's alleged that he was a groper of women
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

She was "famous" for whatever reasons..... and someone has put up the money, and got planning permission.....
Not much different from...... Bomber Harris
Eric Morecambe
Engleburt Humperdink...

and many other "famous" people.... Even Lord Nelson has statues all over the place.... If you delve into his past, he was no saint... and he was in charge of some serious abuse on ships in the Royal Navy....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

So, who do you think deserves a statue of them (alive or dead)
How about Tony Blair? the thought of a statue of him near Downing Street being liberally covered in pigeon poo does have an appeal.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think if a town wants to erect a statue of one of its famous people that is fine, so long as it isn't paid for out of public funds.
Fixes: 125

There seems to be an ever-growing trend to immortalise just about anyone who is a celebrity these days. At least with the likes of Admiral Nelson he lead the country to many victories in battle which are still talked about today.
How many Amy Whinehouse songs can you name without resorting to Google?
This all seems to go hand-in-hand with the outpouring of 'public grief' whenever anyone in the public eye dies.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Knock knock... Is statue.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

This is a disgrace,
They can get planning etc for Amy Whitehouse, who was a prolific drug user etc
Yet
Lee Rigby (who fought for this country) was denied in his own home town to have a memorial
In May 21/2014
[quote= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27500060]An MP and council have rejected calls for a memorial to Fusilier Lee Rigby in the south-east London area where he was murdered.
It just goes to show how bad this country really is
Makes me ashamed to be British Sad
Community Veteran

There is to be a memorial to Lee Rigby - talks are underway to decide how it will be done.
Community Veteran

Whilst I appreciate the feelings,.... Lee Rigby, was one of thousands of soldiers ,  
His misfortune was to have been murdered, by a civilian (?) The local council and the M.P., probably took the decision, very seriously, to negate permission, on the grounds that, by having a memorial, could possibly inflame local opinion, and be the focus and cause of more unrest amongst the communities involved.
Community Veteran

@Shutter, you are absolutely right. The question of a memorial has to be dealt with very sensitively for the reasons you give. They don't want to erect a memorial that is constantly getting attacked. 
TORPC
Grafter

Look at the fight & now support from other religion groups including, to be able to get the decision overturned
[quote= ]This week a number of religious groups including the Islamic Society of Britain and the Conservative Muslim Forum wrote to the Daily Telegraph to express support for a memorial in Woolwich.
They said: "If the family's desire is to have a memorial, neither they, nor the British public as a whole, should be denied the chance to commemorate Lee Rigby's service and sacrifice in a proper way."
@Shutter & artmo
What I was saying is to compare a prolific drug using seedy world singer who can get a memorial statue (without a fight) & a Soldier who was denied a memorial.
is an absolute disgrace,
Whilst I appreciate that there are others past & present, aptly deserve memorials there are also those that don't deserve them
Ok both of you answer this then
Who is more deserving of a /  the memorial ?Huh
Lee Rigby (who fought life & limb for our country (in a war he should never have been sent to)) & Murdered on home soil by soldiers of another religious belief
or
Amy Whitehouse (A prolific drug user (had her own self inflicted battle with drugs)) & died from self inflicted drug abuse
Community Veteran

I have already made my point.
Community Veteran

Firstly let's get her name right, it's Amy Winehouse. She happened to be a very good singer, it's a pity about her life choices.
I have no objection to the people of that part of North London deciding to erect a statue to her. As I made clear earlier neither do I have an objection to a statue for Lee Rigby.
Two totally unconnected issues.
In the case of Lee Rigby there is the sensitive issue of the memorial being erected without causing further troubles in the area.
TORPC
Grafter

You are obviously missing the point I made
I never asked which if any you object to
I asked
which was more deserving
Someone who put their life on the line to protect our country
Or
A prolific drug using singer
Lets put it a different way
Who set the best example for other generations to follow
Lee Rigby
or
Amy Whitehouse
yes that is how I write / type it, as I feel disgusted to see her name, (for the bad examples she set out) although there are others as all she done was sing & not fight for a country
I know who I would rather watch my back if they were still alive & we end up in a 3rd world war