Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statistics for road deaths

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Statistics for road deaths

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm
Using the above link it comes up with some very interesting statistics.
For example nationally about twice as many in the 17-25 age group die than in the over 65 age group
But in Dorset that doesn't seem to be the case - if anything it is equal or more for the older drivers.
15 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Statistics for road deaths

thats because more silly old sods live there, It would be more enlightening if they were given as a percentage of the population at that age
Community Veteran

The whole south coast is retired folks land isn't it ?.
but note also that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/uk/2009/crash/8414354.stm
"Those aged 75 years and older comprise a surprisingly large segment - likely reflecting the greater vulnerability of the human frame as we age. "
I don't know if these stats take into account the number of total drivers in the group. As numers of people alive starts to tail off from mid 60's this could show that older people are more vulnerable.
I certainly know several people in their 70's and 80's who people avoid riding with as they are deemed unsafe.
I am one of those people who think that annual driving medicals, above 65 should be mandatory and a driving test at some stage - maybe 70 or 75.
I've had a test as part of a company scheme - a few years ago and actual found it a fun morning out - nothing to be afraid of as long you are a half decent driver.

Denzil
Grafter

I have always thought that the test should be resat, say, after one year, then every five. For comparison, a certificate for driving a forklift truck in controlled conditions in a warehouse usually needs to be redone every three years. Yet you can pass a test at 17 for the much more complex conditions on the road and not be tested again until you are 75 or whatever it is.
I have also always thought it interesting how our attitude to risk varies so much according to the subject. Nine people are killed on UK roads every day, yet we don't think twice about driving.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no retest at 75 or 85 or 90, you just self certify that you are fit, had to do a snatch on my mums car at 89 and ban her  Lips are sealed Undecided
johpal
Grafter

I am diabetic and have an annual eye test; quite an extensive one. I am certain my eyesight is good.
How many people, I wonder, drive around either without glasses when they really need them, or drive around with a pair of spectacles that no longer correct their vision adequately? Would a regular eye test for drivers be a worthwhile idea to improve road safety?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sure it would, Just got my new prescription glasses and had a retina photo - result good  (saw the bottom line on the test chart that the photo lot had)
unfortunately if you have the old type licence, that last til you are 70 and no declaration in that time,  The photo ones last 10 years, again no test but you do have to declare.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I heard they may stop putting the clocks's back in the winter for road safety,they might even be trialing it,seemingly scotland would benefit from it especially in the back roads,i suggest taking a torch,a bright jacket with reflectors ,better still just dont even go there Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It took use years to standardize the clock summer time/normal time throughout Europe, dont think about mucking it up now, just drive accordingly
Community Veteran

Agree with Piere - most of the chatter about changing the clock comes from people in the South East.
All they can think about is themselves - forgetting that the sun rises later in the west - i.e. Cornwall, Wales and of course further north - especially the NW of Scotland.
Time people learnt a little geography. people like that guy Tim Yeo MP - whose constituency is about as far east as you can get in the UK. he wants the same time zone as mailand Europe but in other ways seems anti Europe !!!
I'm 99% certain that Eire have the same time zone as us - and they are even further west.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As a coach/bus driver I had to renew my licence every 5 years with a full medical (quite rightly in my opinion, although it costs me £120+ each time) from 2011 (after 65th birthday) I have to renew it annually.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

When I had my HGV Class one that was every 3 years, dont know what it is now, cant be bothered to look
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's certainly true that as you get to 60+ your reactions are slower and standard of driving goes down but I cannot agree with other posts about resitting your test on reaching 70.
The accident rate for younger drivers is much higher in most parts of the country so you could argue to reduce this they should resit their tests every 3 years up to the age of 30.... A daft idea of course.
The best judge of fitness to drive are the insurance companies.... if accidents cost them money they increase the premiums for that particular group of drivers... some who have been done for drink driving a few times probably find it hard or even impossible to get insurance cover and quite rightly so but to lump everyone together because of age and say retest everyone when they reach 70 is in my opinion wrong.
No doubt it will happen as the government will see it as another way to get money out of people.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they do differentiate - sort of - , I did hold an HGV Class one and drove vehicles up to 48 tonne, but when Ford sold out to Fiat, Ford would not sponsor me for that and when its 3 year cycle was up it lapsed.
I also drove small vans and trailers up to 7.5 tonne on my normal licence.  When I reached 70 my larger vehicles were all dropped from my Licence, had a moan, but said to get that cover I would have to take a medical, a private one at a large cost.  Weight up and thought so what, probaly wont need it again
Community Veteran

Although far, far less people have private pilot  licences rather than driving licences, PPL holders need an annual medical, which for restricted licences can done by a GP.
And it is usual for pilot to have check flights with an instructor from time to time.
Some might say that flying is potentially more dangerous than driving, but most accidents only involve the pilot and passengers , and rarely involve crashing into other aircraft / onto people on the ground. A much heavier car travelling at 70 mph can do far more damage than a small light aircraft, espcially if other vehicles then are affected such as on a motoway pile up.
Many drivers never have a check after passing their tests, and they develop some really bad habits. So periodic retraining would benefit many road drivers in my humble opinion. And learner drivers don't go near motorways!.
And doing some refresher training is actually rather good fun - there's always something new to learn - or improve on a skill.