cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stating the obvious?

Fixes: 123

Stating the obvious?

Time to spring clean... your mind? Scientists say memory lapses can be blamed on too much irrelevant...
Scientists say the problem is that you know too much – and you need to declutter, or spring-clean your mind.

Experiments show that the memory lapses that come with age are not simply due to brain slowing down.

Mervin Blair, of Montreal’s Concordia University, said: ‘We found that  the older adults had more difficulty in getting rid of previous information'.

I've been saying just that for years  Cheesy
When you bear in mind that older people remember their childhood days as vividly as yesterday but often struggle to remember what they had for breakfast I think the above is true.
My mother seems to remember every detail of the WWII but can't recall telling us about it last week!
Something I find frustrating, but has haunted me for years, is when you try to recall a name or place or something that you know is on the tip of your tongue but it just escapes you. Now I give up trying to remember and it comes to me 'out of the blue'.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Stating the obvious?

I'd agree with it actually too. The problem is though that you will always remember your earliest memories because to most of us they're special for some reason.
You don't just click a button and delete them - it can't be done. Even if you try not to think about them they will always be there so you can't rid yourself of memories that easily.
I'm a bad one for remembering things. Anything important to me i remember religiously. Out of the 6 cars we've had so far i remember all 6 registration numbers, colours, engine sizes, price, maintenance costs, etc.
Having had a somewhat boring life and a temporary 'life' a few years back i'd say its how busy you keep yourself. If you're busy and active you don't remember as much as you do with a boring life when you have time to think about things a lot more.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

I'd disagree with your last statement, I think you're more likely to remember things when active. When I'm bored things seem to go in and out like when listening to a boring conversation then someone asks what I think and I have no idea of what's just been said  Shocked
Like you, I remember lots of things but often by association. For example, if someone asks when a song was released I remember because of another event reminds me of waht happened at that time.
I'm much better with numbers than names and I can remember my dad's old Ford Anglia reg which he sold over 30 years ago but not the Primera I sold 6 years ago. I'm also good with dates.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I'd disagree with your last statement, I think you're more likely to remember things when active. When I'm bored things seem to go in and out like when listening to a boring conversation then someone asks what I think and I have no idea of what's just been said  Shocked

See about 7 years ago i was out every weekend if i had money, drinking with mates every night etc.. didn't remember anything much from that period until i met someone special. I can't remember anything much apart from events back then. Can't remember names, dates, times, etc yet now i remember all sorts of stupid things which i don't really need.
I guess it works differently for different people.
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska

See about 7 years ago i was out every weekend if i had money, drinking with mates every night etc.. didn't remember anything much from that period until i met someone special. I can't remember anything much apart from events back then. Can't remember names, dates, times, etc yet now i remember all sorts of stupid things which i don't really need.
I guess it works differently for different people.

Sounds like alcohol induced amnesia  Wink
John
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
I'm a bad one for remembering things. Anything important to me i remember religiously. Out of the 6 cars we've had so far i remember all 6 registration numbers, colours, engine sizes, price, maintenance costs, etc.

Minimum length of time I have kept a car is four years the maximum is my current one which I have had for over 8 years and I can't remember any of the registrations for 7 cars I had . Why remember them? I'm the same with telephone numbers no need to remember them as they are easy to look up or programmed into a handset. 
Community Veteran

It's not like i intend to remember them. I don't do it on purpose its just one of those things.

Likewise.
I only have to dial a number once and it's never forgotten.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

yes I have problems in the memory department, only yesterday I was..............
Sorry,  forgotten what I was going to say.