cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State pension

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

State pension

Those of you who get the state pension will have received or will soon receive a letter informing them about the increase from April.
The letter uses the term, '.....the amount of benefit you wil receive.......    Why is it classed as a benefit, my wife gets a small private pension each month but the term benefit is not used, perhaps it's about time that term was phased out.
Included with the letter is a small booklet, on pages 9 & 10 there are a range of things that  they insist on being informed about, I have no intention of printing the whole list but it includes things like, if you go into hospital or a care home, a child or young person dies, a child or young person leaves your home,
At the end of the list it says, this list is not exhaustive you must tell us about changes in your circumstances straight away.
So the question I ask is why ? The state pension is not taxed and I am not aware of any circumstances a persons state pension can be changed, I suspect I must be wrong about this but can anyone clarify the position for me ?
Smiley
53 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: State pension

Sorry - but state pension is taxable.  Cheesy

Community Veteran

Yes, taxable but not taxed at source.  Wink Confuses quite a few people that.  Cool
Lots of reasons you have to inform them about changes though not everyone will have any resultant adjustments to any related benefits. We're currently having to deal with that (among many other more difficult issues) for my father-in-law who has just moved into a care home.  Cry
Community Veteran

Yes taxed by adjustment to tax code.
They ask to be notified of changes  and if for example you end up in a nursing home that is being paid for you your pension is used towards the cost.
nadger
Rising Star

We've just received our letters.
On mine there's a note that if I survive another 5 months I'll get an extra 25p per week  Smiley
Community Veteran

That will be a life changer Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Those of you who get the state pension will have received or will soon receive a letter informing them about the increase from April.
The letter uses the term, '.....the amount of benefit you wil receive.......     Why is it classed as a benefit

Quite simply because it's paid by the DWP - Dept for Work & Pensions and thats run by Mr Ian Duncan Smith who thinks that anyone getting money from his department, is a scrounger and the more vulnerable you are, the redder and more evil his eyes become.
Of course you could just look at it the other way.. that the state pension is a benefit to your life and income... Trust me.. it is a benefit to you because by the time i get there it won't exist.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: nadger
We've just received our letters.
On mine there's a note that if I survive another 5 months I'll get an extra 25p per week  Smiley

What happens if you don't last 5 months?

Community Veteran

I've not had a letter yet Crazy Hope they haven't forgotten me Wink
Fixes: 47

I've had mine delivered.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not received ours yet but this morning got a letter from the Insolvency Service with a cheque for underpayment for a redundancy years ago and confirmation of my +65 Guaranteed Growth Bond. This retirement thingy is better than working so far  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I've had mine delivered.

You haven't had mine as well have you Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
What happens if you don't last 5 months?

Nothing, you're dead so you don't get your pension and they waste a stamp!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: 7up
Trust me.. it is a benefit to you because by the time i get there it won't exist.

@7up
From April 2016 the  amount of pension payable is going to increase by a considerable amount, figures of £30 a week or more have been mentioned but that will only apply to those who reach pensionable age on or after that date  so far from not existing it will be more than the rest of those currently retired get.
On top of this you have an additional, 'benefit', figures show people are living longer  and many more are reaching the 100 mark so by the time you retire it's likely you will live longer than the rest of us who are retired.
 Wink
@artmo,
So if you go into a nursing home or rest home and your pension is used to pay the fees then for anyone with little money it can be seen as a one way trip, by that I mean you have to have money to pay household bills, gas, electric, phone etc even if you do not use them so where is the money coming from if used to pay rest home or nursing home fees, and with no pension who is going to pay for personal items, like clothes, toiletries etc if the money is used for fees.
I am not questioning what you say as I am sure it is correct but if so it is a cause for concern
dick:green Quote fixed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@Glen, you cannot read 30+ years into the future. A lot can change in that time, we may have had another world war for all any of us know.
Like I said, the way this country and its finances are going, by the time i get there i won't have a pension - we'll be a bankrupt country.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!