cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Pension choice

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

State Pension choice

There are discussions ongoing on the future of state pensions. Talk is to abolish the bus pass and WFA for new retirees in exchange for a larger state pension.
Given a choice which would you prefer.
State pension as is + winter fuel allowance + Bus Pass + free TV licence for over 75’s.
or
A weekly state pension in excess of £140
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: State Pension choice

TV licence is already free over 75.
If you spread the standard single Winter Fuel Allowance £100 over 12 months that would represent £1.92 per week increase in the state pension. Its actually better for the chancellor to pay the allowance as is than raise the pension by a meaningful amount.
I don't know how many pensioners actually apply for a bus pass, a lot do but I suspect a lot more don't.
I deferred my state pension, so it is already not far short of £140 anyway. My question is would mine go up accordingly or mark-time until caught up.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I'm all for simplifying the pension system.  WFA should be built into the State pension.  I know a lot of people who use their free bus pass but my guess would be that the majority don't.
nadger
Rising Star

I've only used my free bus pass on one day 4 years ago but have a friend who uses his several times a week.
I prefer our WFA in one lump but wouldn't object to it being treated as income. When I got free TV licence it was for 3 years so paid for a new tele. Due for renewal in June.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm partially against the withdrawal to be honest. The rich will loose their freebies but then the poor will also be made to suffer for it too by loosing theirs. Why must the poor always pay the price for the rich when they loose things? - We've still not got over this old fashioned attitude that its the poors fault have we.
I appreciate we'd incur other expenses like staffing if means testing were brought in but the way this is being handled is not the right one.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

What particular benefit are you talking about?
BTW, I think you mean lose and not loose in your post Wink
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Aren't we forgetting the £10 Christmas bonus?
The bus pass is under the control of the UK nations. In England bus passes must be issued to men and women over women's state pension age. Some local authorities chose to issue them from age 60 and all the UK nations except England also issue them at 60. So the UK government would not have the power to redirect the bus pass cash into the state pension. There would be outrage (even more so than now) if residents of England were to be further disadvantaged.
In England men between women's retirement age and men's retirement age are entitled to a bus pass and WFA. They would lose these without any corresponding benefit.
Community Veteran

Personally I'd prefer the choice of being able to work and not draw state pension until I'm not actually physically able to perform work. However that would require effective anti-discrimination laws properly enforced with criminal sanctions to prevent age discrimination.
Too many people are needlessly thrown on the scrap heap because they have gray hair or a few wrinkles.
As to the original post I'm fairly sure that merging benefits will lead to hidden cuts. So I'd say to the politicians, don't tinker and focus on getting the economy back to work while restricting false immigrants entering the country.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Changing things can have unexpected outcomes, let's take the bus pass an an example.
I Suspect a number of better off pensioners who can drive rarely use their bus pass but including those that do consider this,
1. Car journeys and pollution is reduced by every car kept off the road and withdrawl of bus passes would result in far more car journeys.
2. A Number of elderly people do not go out much but a free bus pass will encourage more to get out and about and the more mobile you are the fitter you are and for many there is the    social aspect, very important for those that live alone.
So the savings on limiting bus passes to certain groups whose income falls below a certain level may not be as great as that claimed as in addition to the above you create a vast bureaucracy to process the forms needed to identify those who are entitled to a free bus pass.
I Do agree that the £10/£100 should be scrapped and a pension of £140 paid to those who have made sufficient contributions or for reasons of health, staying at home to raise children, or other good reasons should still get the full pension irrespective of contributions.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20996912
Details of the government's plans to introduce a flat-rate pension by 2017 - equivalent to £144 per week in today's money - have emerged ahead of an official announcement next week.
I bet it doesn't affect existing pensioners - but then again I hope I am wrong
kdoug007
Grafter

nothing  will change  this  side of the  election...
i  think  m there saying  those  on pension  crdit would get  more..  it  one  is not ,, you  wont get the  winter  fuel...
  If  i was  a  mp..  it  would  be  like  child benfit  if  you earn  over  £25.000  per  year  you  dont get  the  WFA,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20996912
Details of the government's plans to introduce a flat-rate pension by 2017 - equivalent to £144 per week in today's money - have emerged ahead of an official announcement next week.
I bet it doesn't affect existing pensioners - but then again I hope I am wrong
Unfortunately you are not wrong, the government has made it clear that the proposed new flat rate pension will only apply to those retiring after a specific date, not sure the exact date as it may yet have to be agreed but  likely to be sometime in2015.
So we will end up with a 2 tier system until such time as those of us on the current pension are no longer here.
Community Veteran

That's as I understand it also.  When the scheme was first mentioned many months ago it was stated that only new retirees would qualify.
Community Veteran

Quote from: kdoug007
i  think  m there saying  those  on pension  crdit would get  more..  it  one  is not ,, you  wont get the  winter  fuel...
 If  i was   a  mp..  it  would  be  like  child benfit  if  you earn  over  £25.000  per  year  you  dont get  the  WFA,

Reading your garbled message I think you are suggesting child benefit comes into play at £25k.  In fact it comes in at £50k.  This from the BBC website:
Families with one parent with a taxable income of more than £50,000 will lose some of the benefit, and it will be withdrawn entirely if one parent earns above £60,000.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So will the government seize my S2P when I retire "officially" - I don't work now as no one wants to offer me employment?
Would a Tory government seize a working person's money?
You don't really need to ask. Angry