cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Opening of Parliament

Community Veteran

State Opening of Parliament

Just watched the Queen open the new session of Parliament.  I always enjoy the pageantry of occasions like this.  We do it so well.
There's a packed programme of legislation that has been announced.  It's going to be a busy time for DC and his government.
Parliament
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: State Opening of Parliament

Quote from: artmo
There's a packed programme of legislation that has been announced. 

Not really, it's 18 months worth. The next QS will be Nov 2011.  Wink
Community Veteran

It's still a busy programme.  It is only anticipated the next QS will be in November 2011.  No date has been fixed.  If the present programme were to be completed speedily then a new QS could be brought forward.
itsme
Grafter

Too many MP's passing too many laws. I would love to see a graph showing the number of laws passed per year for the last 100 years. Would it be a same curve as a exponential graph?
Community Veteran

hope they didn't keep the old girl too long, nor weigh her down with a gurt long speech to deliver.  she'm looking frail.
Community Veteran

Itsme, one law they will be passing is to reduce the number of MPs.  Wonder how that vote will go Undecided A bit like turkeys voting for Christmas Smiley
I think it is a good idea to reduce the number of MPs and to make each constituency a similar size. There is so much variation in constituency size at present.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

make each constituency a similar size

Have you seen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituencies_in_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2010
Apart from the IOW with > 100k electorate, most appear to be between 60K and 75k electorate, current average is 68180
What do you think the target range of electorate per constituency should be?
Think I'd like to see an MP split,  something like a constituency size of 95k>105k which should produce around 450 MP's, then another 50 elected based on demography (not regional, but life style, career, language or whatever), in that manner it would be difficult to marginalise minority groups. Each of the Demographic MPs would stand in their own right and would require say a minimum of 25,000 votes to qualify for a short list of the 50.
(Just think we could have our first JEDI or Disc world MP), ............on a more serious note a demographic MPs could easily represent "retired service personal”, give them a real voice
Community Veteran

I've heard a number of suggestions for the new ideal size of constituencies.  The common feeling is 85-90k.  This would reduce the number of MPs but they would then be provided with an office staff that would deal with all their admin matters.  This staff  is similar to the arrangements made in the US for members of the Senate.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
make each constituency a similar size

.....on a more serious note a demographic MPs could easily represent "retired service personal”, give them a real voice

Hear! Hear!!
Of course if 50,000 was chosen then the Tories could have two MPs for IOW!!!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
Just watched the Queen open the new session of Parliament. 

Why?
I always enjoy the pageantry of occasions like this.  We do it so well.

It is a hole lode of pomp.
Quote from: itsme
Would it be a same curve as a exponential graph?

I would say YES it would be!
Quote from: artificer
she'm looking frail.

Yes she is looking frail, but I don't know why we still have the Queen or King it is time for them to go!
We could save billions by removing the royal family.
itsme
Grafter

Would we save money? I don't believe as some say that the Royal Family bring money into the country through tourism but does the Queen do unseen/unheard work on behalf of international Business?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

does the Queen do unseen/unheard work on behalf of international Business?

No, She is not allowed to.
itsme
Grafter

Not directly but when she does a state tour which ministers and business people go with her and when oversea heads of state visit the Queen what people do they bring?
James
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
We would lose millions by removing the royal family.

Corrected your typos Gary.
You clearly haven't considered the amount of revenue our Royal Family brings to our tourism industry.
Community Veteran

When the Queen is abroad she always hosts a function for business people in the country she's visiting and our own representatives are also there.