Fixes: 47

Re: State Opening of Parliament

Such ceremonies get the tourists flocking in Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

You may get tourists there but have they came specifically for this occasion?
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I love the pomp and pageantry it what imho sets us apart from the rest of the world.
Fixes: 47

I thought voting UKIP would do that Lips are sealed
Quote from: itsme
You may get tourists there but have they came specifically for this occasion?

Maybe not specifically but it's one of many occasions that collectively does get in the tourists.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 124

Quote from: Mayfly
I love the pomp and pageantry it what imho sets us apart from the rest of the world.
I agree along with such things as changing of the guard and Trooping of the Colour.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

WTF
Grafter

They're great for tourists but I'd rather be **** ****** with a red hot poker than endure them myself Roll eyes
Community Veteran

A splendid occasion, always worth watch IMO Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: itsme
What a waste of money.

So.... having read that statement.... perhaps you would care to elucidate the actual cost, either overall, or per capita ?
WTF
Grafter

Hmm .. tough one
Just looking at the time for the main participants:
MPs - average Salary is around £75K, they work 143 days on average and there are 650 of them so that would be roughly £341K
Lords - average daily allowance is £225 and there are 763 of them so £172K
Queen - costs the taxpayer roughly 900K pa and works 123 days so £7K
Giving a grand total of around £520K or roughly 1p per person or 2p per taxpayer.
That of course excludes security, support staff, transport, energy costs etc etc etc
Total rip off if you ask me Wink
nanotm
Pro

your assertion that Westminster is a waste of money is somewhat flawed, arguably a system like the rest of the world uses would be a lot higher cost per capita per day
every country has an opening address after each recess period, but we involve our monarch whereas most of the world doesn't have one, so there ceremonies are often rather tedious (ours does indeed bring in people from all over the world specifically to see the spectacle as a key part of there visit to blighty)
as with all republican arguments, the cost based one falls flat on its face when you compare the amount of cash that flows into the country because of our "ceremonies" that they find so abhorrent....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
randpwar
Grafter

I’d agree that there really isn’t a financial argument against having a Monarchy, it’s just that fatuous adulation is no basis for Government
nanotm
Pro

aside from delivering a speech a couple of times a year (that gets largely drafted by spin doctors in downing street) and going on goodwill trips (at the host states expense) that drum up trade and keep them in the public eye the monarchy is largely a figurehead organisation,
that the reigning monarch does have limited power to order parliament dissolved (when they are failing the country) and an election period declared is a good oversight, that they are also required to sign off on any parliamentary act's as being for the greater good (and a few have in the past been denied this) is again a great way of achieving oversight.
so along with the various crowd pleasers (ceremonies) they are arguably a necessary part of government (and since they don't have to worry about getting elected) are free to slap errant ideas to the kerb without fear of no job next year, and because there held aloof and investigated for any evidence of wrongdoing all the time whilst not immune from the vagaries of corruption there far less likely to be swayed into it which makes them far better than yet another quango being created (which would be almost entirely corrupt) to do the job
WTF
Grafter

Not sure why we need a separate head of state: why not simply accept the fact we're an elected dictatorship* and have the PM also act as HoS?

* constitutionally, we are - one of the few things I remember from my time at law school Wink
nanotm
Pro

we don't have a constitution.... not since a previous government repealed the law(s) that constituted one and failed to implement a new version all we have had for some time is the criminal rights bill to fall back on .....