cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starving soldier died 'as result of Iain Duncan Smith's welfare reform'

TORPC
Grafter

Starving soldier died 'as result of Iain Duncan Smith's welfare reform'

[quote=http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killed-benefits-cuts-starving-soldier-3923771]A diabetic ex-soldier died starving and skint after officials axed his benefits.
David Clapson, 59, was stripped of the cash after missing an ­appointment under harsh Coalition reforms.
He died in Stevenage, Herts, with just £3.44 left in his account.
David once faced death on a daily basis as he served his country loyally in the terror hell of Northern Ireland.
And when he left the Army he went straight into the ­workplace with BT before becoming a full-time carer for his sick mother.
After she went into a home, diabetic David turned to the state for help while he looked for work.
But under the Coalition’s callous new benefits rules he had his £71.70 a week Jobseeker’s Allowance axed – merely because he missed an appointment with an adviser.

I think this absolutely appalling, for missing one appointment,
This guy put his life on the line for our country & his advisor could not be bothered to that he has / has an illness,
I honestly do not know how these advisor(s) can sleep at night, knowing that they make people suffer
Surely there are better ways of punishing those who fall foul of missing an appointment, like IE: Requesting they twice fortnightly,
Taking money off them is only making it harder for them to look for work, as they have to spend all the time required to survive

I did not notice what the reason for the appointment to be missed
35 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Starving soldier died 'as result of Iain Duncan Smith's welfare reform'

If he did 16 years working for BT I would have thought that he had access to a pension.
Community Veteran

This was discussed on the radio yesterday and it appears to be not as clear as the article makes out. Very sad. Also following on from itsme's commnets would he not also have received an army pension?
Community Veteran

Probably not paid out until 60 or 65 - unless he retired on ill-health grounds from BT.
itsme
Grafter

I know a few BT workers drawing a pension before 60
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But how many years service did they have? Probably at least 30 or 35.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

It's a terribly sad story, but it looks like he did not go through the various processes of keeping the benefit payments going.
Similarly, BT will have an ill-health retirement scheme that I imagine he could have applied for.
WTF
Grafter

We're going to see a lot of these stories in the coming years as the various cuts kick in  Sad
.. but at least the rich got their tax cuts  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Aren't army pensions paid on release from the service?
On the programme I heard yesterday it appears he had support set up but didn't take advantage of it because he was too proud to ask for it. He had a sister who had tried to help.
Where there are vulnerable people there needs to be some support and before any benefits are stopped there should be a review by a panel of people who can consider all the aspects of the case. 
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yet another case of misleading journalism used to highlight a case that doesn't exist,
yes its sad that someone decided they would rather die than accept help but stubbornness is what killed him not some welfare policy change.
@artmo it depends on the number of years served and the engagement type, if he was medically discharged he would of been on some type of pension but unless he did 22 years its unlikely he would of had a pension, although he should of been claiming it from age 55 unless he transferred it to a civil pension scheme, in which case the rules of that pension scheme would apply ....
also being a type 1 diabetic he should of been on disability as well as jobseekers so it sounds far more like he failed to claim the correct allowance(s) because he was too proud to be called disabled .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

David joined the Royal Signals Corps at 17 and served for two years in Belfast at the height of the Troubles in the 70s. He left as a lance corporal then worked for BT for 16 years.

Depending on how you read it, it's possible he served only 2 years in the army (or is it 2 years in Belfast?) and left aged 19!
If that is the case he was 35 when he left BT some 24 years ago>
A bit of news reporting clarity required methinks!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Would he have left as a lance corporal after 2 years service and at such a young age Undecided
Community Veteran

According to this article this happened a year ago.
http://www.theadvertisergroup.co.uk/Daily-News/Stevenage/Lessons-must-be-learned-from-diabetic-forme...
I wonder why it has just come to light now.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

because the inquest has just been finished and clearly the DWP policy needs to be changed, 90% of vulnerable adults don't realise they are vulnerable until someone tells them they fall into that category so it would be rather difficult for them to inform the DWP they are classified as vulnerable ..... most people naturally assume vulnerable refers to those who cannot care for themselves through physical or mental defect the latter is often taken to mean severely mentally ill like schizophrenic and not any and all mental problems (like depression/anxiety) 
perhaps the DWP will start making people fill out some automated check list once a month to determine if their vulnerable prior to issuing sanctions .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo
I wonder why it has just come to light now.
We have an election next year?
As sad as this case is blindly blaming sanction/cuts for his death is jumping the gun a little.
From my experiences in helping my daughter who can't work at the moment there is a lot of support out there and plenty of opportunities for contact when there are issues in meeting appointments/filling in forms and so forth. My daughter couldn't get to her GP to collect a certificate a while back meaning it would have to be handed in late. I suggested she contact her advisor who made relevant notes and there was no issue with any benefit being stopped because of it.
Maybe in this instance it was his pride letting him down or the system really did fail him (where was the loving sister when he needed the support?).  But it works for millions although no system is full-proof.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still