cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Start again

If you had the chance to start your life again from when you left school would you follow the same path, if not what would you do that was different bearing in mind the conditions that exist now rather than when you left school ?
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Start again

Starting again I would have trained to be an Accountant as the prospects in engineering are now nothing like as good
I actually had the option of training to be a Chartered accountant but decided to take a degree course in Mechanical Engineering instead and I haven't regretted it
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Looking back over my life since I left school and joined the Royal Navy.... I suppose I would still have joined the Royal Navy... maybe I would have signed on after the first 12 years... to ensure a pension... but... and this is where the big BUT comes into play.. ( no... not the BIG BUTT  Shocked )...
My life has had so many changes since I left the Royal Navy, in 72 ( sort of like leaving school, and looking for a job 12 years later ! ! !)... and those changes have "just happened".. no real planning... so flitting from one position to another, and I have achieved many things that "ordinary" lifestyles just would not envisage.... I lived on a Narrowboat for about 4 years.... touring the canals, and many people envy me because of that... however, it was a particularly hard part of my life, that I look back on, and am reminded of when i used to walk to school alongside the canals, watching the boatmen working their way.... and saying to myself..... "one day..... I`ll own a boat like that and live on the canals"...  amazingly .... I did...  so if I had "signed on"... I would not have achieved that dream... nor many others along the path of life......
Community Veteran

Who knows!  Huh
Change one little thing and I may not have been sat here now.  Roll eyes
But, I wished I'd put more effort in at school. It took me 6 years at night school to catch up.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We had a lad in our class at school who on being asked what he wanted to do with his life, his reply was to 'be a spaceman', in the 1950's his answer became a bit of a joke.
He retired a several years ago after working 40 years for NASA.
Start again? wouldn't change much at all, except wouldn't have taken a gap year and wouldn't have paid into a pension fund.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

If I'm honest I think I'd go and be a raging psychopath because being the nice guy has got be no-where in life except being walked all over and treated like trash.
I'm fed up with it and won't be talking much more of it for much longer. Once I snap thats it. It'll get nasty.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Sprite
a raging psychopath because being the nice guy................

Could always aspire to be an "Evil Overlord"
Few tips here
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't change a thing
My sadness is that I don't have anyone to tell my story to.
When I come home all anyone in the pub want to talk about is their gardens or their cars. Or football  Sad
All my stuff about Crossing the Benue and seeing Crocodiles and Hippos, or hydro power in the Peruvian Andes, or touring the South Pacific visiting Vanuatu, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Western Samoa etc, etc,etc. I can imagine you already yawning Crazy
I bet you dont want to know anything about Saudi Arabia either where I am typing this Embarrassed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Peter.... sounds like an "interesting" life.... sadly, you miss sharing your experiences with people,  on a one to one basis, but perhaps you could find some way of writing a travel book?  Suggested title....  " The experience of a lifetime "  I would love to read it... so send me a copy when you have it in print...... Good Luck.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PeterLoftus
When I come home all anyone in the pub want to talk about is their gardens or their cars. Or football  Sad

I don't understand it either. Football.. running round a big bit of grass kicking a ball. It's what kids do yet most blokes obsess over it for life and talk about the players like they're national heros. Gardening is boring and cars.. well man and machine are kind of the natural thing to be honest but I don't find cars very entertaining. Sure they're very clever bits of kit and the one we have I love to bits for all the gadgetry but they're nothing like other marvels that have been. I used to know a bloke who lived in Oz for moons and every time I saw him he had a different tale to tell and it was great. From big spiders landing in his face to times down the gold mines he had lots of tales to tell.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@shutter
Will try that but  am still living the life at the mo. Cheesy
saw some free range camels last week  Crazy
@sprite
they have some wicked wildlife in Oz In Nigeria I would never lift any pieces of steel or tins off the ground always got one of the local guys. Too many snakes, scorpions and spiders.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

I started my working life as a lab technician in a steel works. Not as many steel works or steel works lab techs about these days so I wouldn't go there.
I then qualified and spent quite a few years as a welder. A bit of and unhealthy life style that so I wouldn't go there.
I then migrated into IT and these days the world is full of 'em so probably wouldn't go there.
I'd probably have to start my own business making and selling fog horn sharpeners.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
If you had the chance to start your life again from when you left school would you follow the same path, if not what would you do that was different bearing in mind the conditions that exist now rather than when you left school ?

If I had to start my life again, I'd rather it was from birth, and with a different family, but following your actual question I'd have gone straight into psychology instead of the job I chose. Nice as it was (in some ways), I'd have done better not bothering with it. I think I would also be a total whore and give myself over to 'sins of the flesh' because the monk's life is much, much, erm ... harder.
Fixes: 47

I know someone who did a degree in Criminal Psychology, got a job in London and now works in the office of a taxi company taking calls as they couldn't afford the travelling expenses across London as well as their other living expenses.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Razer
Grafter

What an incredible waste.