Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starlink

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Starlink

In initial tests of Starlink, the team has been collecting latency data and performing standard speed tests of the system. Results from these tests have shown super low latency and download speeds greater than 100 mbps – fast enough stream multiple HD movies at once and still have bandwidth to spare.

@SpaceX

Not in my time before it becomes global, but what an incredible acheivement.
Will it knock all ground based ISP's out of the ball park, and is the writing on the wall already for fibre? No more impossible to reach and 'not available in your area' locations that's for sure.

Technology certainly has a habit of coming up on the inside - or in the case of Elon Musk, over our heads. 

Capture.JPG

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
18 REPLIES 18
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Starlink

Yeah....but at what cost to the consumer.... and will the "average jo" be able to afford it ? Probably , us poor pensioners, won`t be able to...

. unless of course you are on Pension credit...then you may get the service "free"  like the bbc ! ! ! ...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

It's designed to cover the globe so that would cover even to poorest of nations with prices to suit. No point in providing global access if only say one quarter of the world could afford it. Maybe we are looking at free access for all, but how that would work I can only imagine. 

As for Pension Credit, free?

If only. 

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

Yeah....but at what cost to the consumer.... and will the "average jo" be able to afford it ? Probably , us poor pensioners, won`t be able to...

You will not be able to afford to travel on HS2 either but you will still be paying for it.......🙂

shutter
Community Veteran

Don`t think so.... I don`t pay income tax ! ! .... Cool

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

VAT...? Insurance Tax...?  How long a list do you want?!

shutter
Community Veteran

Well, doesn`t really matter, because my contribution would not pay for one railway sleeper, even if you totted it all up for a year...... if you take all the other stuff that those taxes are collected for and pro-rata the payment for HS2 from it all.... Cheesy

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Yup @TeeGee 

For anyone who is a PlusNet customer (well you must have some ISP or be using mobile data), then you're paying a company that has to pay Business Rates, VAT and employ staff who have to pay National Insurance, income tax.

Sorry I could go on (as I usually do).

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Sugar tax, alcohol and tobacco duty etc. etc.  Successive governments have been very good at (not very well) hidden taxes.  I've yet to find someone who can explain why 'diet' soft drinks cost the same as the ones famous for containing a dozen teaspoons of sugar per bottle.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 52

@Jonpe The artificial sweeteners used in diet drinks will add to the cost.
Ex-Plusnetter now living life in the G,fast lane!
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

In which case the sugar tax is not fit for purpose; the purpose being to deter people from ingesting so much sugar.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Same with beer. 😕

A common complaint about alcohol-free and low-alcohol beer is that it's too expensive. Many of us expect the price of it to be comparative with other non-alcoholic drinks like cola, lemonade or even soda water. The problem is, it's not really the alcohol that makes alcoholic beer pricier than non-alcoholic drinks.13 Jun 2018

steadydrinker.com 

shutter
Community Veteran

Apart from me (almost) paying for a sleeper ( track laying type ) I doubt whether I shall ever use the HS2 rail link...  but there again.. I haven`t used main line trains in Scotland or Wales either.....  Can`t remember the last time I used any main line trains, come to think of it... Sad

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I think you are stood on the wrong platform here @shutter  😆

shutter
Community Veteran

@Minivanman   Yeah... looks like the signalman changed the points ( star link  line to HS2 line ) somewhere along the way...

ah well... this is "chit chat" and it is entitled to go "off the rails" from time to time...  ( or should that be "off topic" Cheesy )