cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standing charges

Fixes: 104

Standing charges

Like many here I'm shopping around for a new energy supplier as my current deal nears its end.

Everything is more expensive, which I figured on, but the standing charge seems to have more than doubled and seems similar across all providers.

Currently I'm paying 8.22p a day but on new tariffs with the same supplier it's looking at 19p a day for new tariffs and that seems to be the least i've found across all suppliers.

Anyone else noticed this?

Will Moderate For Thanks
5 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Standing charges

I am paying 16.8p/day with E-on - for electricity only, I don't know what their gas charge is, but I assume it is the same.

This has been constant for the last 2 years, at least.

John
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Scottish Power 20.55 p incl VAT.

My personal view is that, whether the standing charge is 0 p per day or far more, the all-in cost forecast for a year's supply of energy is the most important.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 104

totally agree, I can find products with the unit price around the same as my current ones but the standing charges are higher.

it's almost as if they want to increase their earnings no matter what you use Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Well they've got to pay for the smart meters somehow... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hmm well in London I've got gas and electric through EDF.
Should really check if I can get a better deal.

I get nagged about having "Smart Meters" but won't have one, for a start if you think energy prices are going up you can't overread your meter and pay in advance at a lower rate. Also I read somewhere - may be wrong, that if you don't pay your connection cut be cut remotely.

So no benefits for me, many for them. Apart from being nagged about how much energy I am using and destroying the planet.