Electric toothbrush - £1.22

Childs night light - £0.73

(Daily Telegraph figures)

20 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Standby

Not so much standby more like just being on. I mean, how can a child's night light be 'on standby'?

Most devices in our house are switched off when not in use - in fact the last action at night before going up that wooden hill (other than having a pee!) has always been to turn the television off at the mains. 

As for shutting down that modem, how are we supposed to use our iPad's and Tablets at three in the morning? Wink

PS. Puzzled to note that the figure for a CRT and LCD television are the same. Both have power supplies humming away of course but crikey, how things have changed. CRT's on standby were so the tube heaters could be kept warm for an almost instant display when switched on, but LCD's?

And as for CRT PC monitors, who uses those anymore!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Interesting list.

There are a number of things you cannot turn off such as a fridge or freezer,

Others you could turn off but end up wasting time resetting them every morning.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

So many things have clocks which I couldn't bear not giving the right time, microwave, cooker etc and does anyone know how much LigtwaveRF units use which I use for remote control of my lighting?

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

...... and they have the annoying habit of flashing on and off until you reset them.

Back to clockwork, it's our only hope!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Every time I power up my inkjet printer it runs a test cycle that consumes some ink. If printing daily, I think that any saving I made on electricity would be more than offset by the cost of the ink wasted - especially as my overnight electricity is less than half price..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Personally I think this story is a no-goer for many reasons.

Political stuff is going on with Hinckley.. nuclear isn't popular so lets shift the blame for it's need onto the people of the nation and then it can be justified that way..

But there's a more important aspect - those quoted figures are all for generic devices where they have no real idea of the differences between them. A smart TV for example might turn off the screen but keep its internet connectivity so that it can update overnight, listen to your conversations, defrag any storage etc. So with that in mind it isn't really off or in standby - it's on but with reduced use. A normal non smart TV may well simply turn off everything but the remote control receiver. It really depends on what hardware the manufacturers decided to turn on / off with the power button press.

Routers... they don't do standby at all so thats that one dismissed. Laser printers are a mix really.. they aren't fully on but they're not on soft power-off either. They're on listening for traffic coming their way and at that point they power up other hardware. Nintendo Wii... classic example of the smart TV mentioned above. My partners still starts blinking it's blue light whenever there is a new message from nintendo... even though its been in standby for months and so it is really turned on.. but without the dvd drive being active. Alarm clock.. when are they ever in standby? - they're always running.

It's interesting though how inkjet printers are brought into this because these days you wake them up / turn them on and the first thing they do is drink 1/8th of a cartridge performing an automatic head cleaning exercise. Who on earth is going to turn theirs off? Perhaps the government and EU should send some legislation the way of the manufacturers of these devices.

Desktop PC is totally arguable. With the old fashioned sleep mode, you could argue that cost but with Win7 and probably 8 & 10 it hibernates to the HDD too and while that doesn't stop power being used to keep the ram alive, it does allow the user to physically disconnect the mains supply - and recover from that the next day. The government are also massive wasters of power here with their own systems being woken up at night for upgrades... and then not shut down after.

So yeah, I do dispute some of those facts and figures.. that have usually been plucked out of thin air by over paid staticians...

How do you put a mobile phone charger in standby?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Mobile phone in standby, probably means once the phone is charged up, the charge current drops right down to virtually nothing, mine do.

Community Veteran

The trouble with rectifiers, chargers and power supplies is the hysteresis on the transformer, meaning that although the output may fall to zero there is still a load on the AC side

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

With SMPsu's (not the clunky transformers of yesteryear) then you get >90% efficiency, so no output = nearly 0W used.
I have several things that stay plugged in this way, the charger is is the socket but nothing is connected to the dc plug. I also have a pi that is on 24/7 that takes <6W (measured). My pc (& connected monitors etc) is on a wifi switch so nearly 0W off. (if I left it on standby then it jumps to ~40W with the active speakers etc) The TV used <0.5W when in standby.
I also have a pc that is on 24/7 most of the time using <20W. (=2 days to use one unit of electric, hdd's on spin down after 1 min)

Having replaced all the lights with led/low power ones there is a limit to what is left to squeeze. The cost of replacing something greatly exceeds the power savings the replacement would give.
I could probably save ~£40 a year by going round and removing all the stuff that doesn't need to be on 24/7, but for less £1 a week ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With modern SMPS-powered products, with modern day components, made in a modern day china that clones everything, switching off at the wall is a bad idea, as the inrush current when switched on at the wall causes damage to these cheap components (even in "quality brand" products!), which results in power supplies going bang and expensive repair bills, negating the cost savings you may have gained from switching off...

So, it's ironically cheaper to run these in "Standby" than it is to have them go bang and need to replace or repair them at greater expense... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Bit of truth there as just about the most common faults on televisions used to be that mechanical on/off switch. Each time it's used of course that 240v just loves to 'jump the gap'. I fitted all the switches and plug sockets in our home when I partially re-wired it - used only the best quality ones and nearly all made by MK.

Never cut corners with electrical stuff especially where the mains is involved, and never have.

Do new televisions still have on/switches? My second hand (daughter's cast off) one does..... but it's broken and I cannot be bothered to fix so yep, back to that wall socket.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My Sony one doesn't have an off switch (that I could find anyway!). My older ones do.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Neither my TV in my bedroom nor the warp plasma TV in the living room have physical switches, they're just "Always on", the latter of which I did use a "Standby saver" thing on and ultimately that blew the PSU, which cost about £80 to procure a good working 2nd hand one, had to fit it myself cos otherwise it was a non-economical repair (not that repairing plasmas is economical these days!), but it's the powering up that causes the damage to low-budget chinese-cloned components rather than a switch, which is why it's recommended to leave them powered up...

Community Veteran

I wonder how much Tammy Wynette's man uses on standby?