Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standalone Broadband

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Standalone Broadband

who would prefer Broadband with no phone line ?

The latest ISPreview reader poll, which was conducted between 18th Jan and 1st Mar 2018, has suggested that the vast majority (75.1%) of respondents would rather have a truly standalone broadband connection than a bundle.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/03/poll-finds-strong-desire-flexible-contracts-standalone...

Yes i would Thumbs Up ok it may cost a bit more but i pay for a phone i dont use

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
18 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Standalone Broadband

The thing is unless you have fibre then you need that phone line of course for your broadband. 

I cancelled my phone contract once I was on fibre and went over to the VoIP system but was then penalised in part by having my 'broadband only' charge bumped up by Plusnet in order to self compensate for their loss. A bit naughty I thought but what can you do?

Yes my monthly bills are smaller but no, I'm not happy at being obliged to pay more for my FTTP broadband as a result.

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran

That would be a step in the right direction but.......

It's getting harder and harder to buy broadband alone without having to also buy the phone rental etc from the same company.

Never mind standalone broadband.

For the past couple of years things seem to be running backwards with rapidly rising prices and often being forced to buy packages with little real choice in the matter.

Not without incurring a financial penalty anyway.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@billnotben

"Not without incurring a financial penalty anyway".

As did I, but lets watch as those prices rise as more go over to fibre and more ditch those telephone lines. They have to make their money up somehow I guess, but still.

All a question of balance and fairness I guess, but with one side being able to call the shots........

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You might need a phone line, but you don't need voice service which is really what people are objecting to.even if they don't realise it (the mistake CPs have made is to bundle line rental and voice service together as consumers see it as one and the same thing.)

And Openreach have been trialling their SOGEA (aka naked DSL) for some time now

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/12/openreachs-sogea-standalone-fibre-broadband-product-ge...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Minivanman wrote:

As did I, but lets watch as those prices rise as more go over to fibre and more ditch those telephone lines.

Yeah but many folks can only get FTTC instead of FTTP and thus they still need those copper lines to carry their super speed dsl for their fibre speeds. Those phone lines aren't going to be replaced any time soon.

To be fair, i've been saying for several years i could live without a landline phone. The only time they have an advantage is when you need to ring an area code that isn't included in the mobile plans minutes but that is extremely rare. There's some months when the landline phone doesn't even get physically touched in this house (well not by me anyway).

I fail to see the point making people have a phone service they don't need just so that they can have a broadband signal on it. Line rental is also something i've never really understood, if you don't pay it, BT aren't going to come and take it away are they, in fact we should be charging them for having their fixings attached to our properties lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

The price for BB would go UP as most ISP use the line rental to subsidise the actual cost , it is said without the phone line price which is supposed to be used for maintenance and repair to the overhead lines , which have been in place for over 100 years obviously some have been replaced .

i moved to this house 20 years ago and had a new copper line fitted so my rental has paid for it several times over , and its never been repaired , so its just money for old rope , or cooper in this case Wink

Would be interesting to find out how Much BT/OR actually spend on line maintenance compared to income generated ?

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro

@rongtw wrote:

i moved to this house 20 years ago and had a new copper line fitted so my rental has paid for it several times over , and its never been repaired , so its just money for old rope , or cooper in this case Wink 

It's not just the cooper that feeds you though is it?!

The exchange and the equipment within doesn't look after and pay for itself, cost of network upgrades, the ongoing costs of installing, maintaining and powering all those FTTC cabs and G.fast pods, and on and on and on.

And let's not forget the wholesale line rental costs have actually been falling, whilst the retail prices have been going up, so it's the ISPs you should really be pointing your finger at for using line rental to make up for loss of call revenue and to subsidise broadband and all the ridiculous new customer offers...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@DaveyH while i agree with what you say , if you took at it as two separate lines  phone and BB .

yes BB has had a lot of upgrades and in need of drastic infrastructure upgrades  to bring it up to date  , but the phone system is requesting a minimal maintenance , and its that what needs seperating from the BB cost 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I do wish those who like to moan about having to pay for line rental would just focus on the total cost rather than the different elements of the charge. For around £20 a month you get access to the whole world of the internet:

• Seemingly endless forums on which you can express whatever bizarre views and opinions you have,
  • An almost infinite number of cat videos, and video from Russian dashcams,
  • The ability to send written messages at enormous speed, without even having to cough up the cost of a stamp or disrupt your watching of cat videos by having to go out in the cold,
  • The facility to avoid your local supermarket and get them to bring you whatever you want (within reason), with the added entertainment value of finding they have sent you a rubber duck as a substitute for a small tin of tuna,
  • Access to an unbelievably extensive selection of movies and tv programmes, and even the opportunity to avoid paying for them, and
  • If you are Plusnet customer, all those hours of listening to a selection of popular music completely free of charge while you are waiting to get through to Plusnet’s customer services.

Now, if that isn’t good value, I don’t know what is. And if you want, you can even pay a bit extra for FTTC and you can do all the above even quicker. (Except the last one.)

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@7up

Still need that copper cable for FTTC but that would only be as far as the nearest cabinet or node I'm thinking therefore you could still ditch that phone as you are only suspending it's use for your number back to the exchange? Have to get my thinking cap on I think..... unless others know different. Smiley  

bmc
Pro
Fixes: 6

The majority of the cost is in providing and maintaining the phone line and associated equipment - not the phone service. When the stand alone BB product is introduced by OpenReach it is not expected to result in any significant savings.

@Minivanman 

Can't tell you how FTTC works exactly but I do know that my line (when I had one) came from a cabinet supplied by TPON cabling. There was also test equipment installed in 2007 (which gave us a decent ADSL service). I assume the line from the cabinet to my house was copper.

What I can tell you was the setup was incompatible with FTTC - I believe due to the TPON cabling.

Brian

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

@7up

Still need that copper cable for FTTC but that would only be as far as the nearest cabinet or node I'm thinking therefore you could still ditch that phone as you are only suspending it's use for your number back to the exchange? Have to get my thinking cap on I think..... unless others know different. Smiley  

I've already mentioned above Openreach have been trialling SOGEA. That's precisely what that is, FTTC without voice service...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Anonymous  You forgot one thing....

You can send morse code over the internet and chat to people all over the world .. just the same as when it  when the undersea cables were laid to our empire outposts. ! !  ( the original internet ) .... Smiley

How`s about that for real progress..... the "internet" is not as "new" as many people think..... Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@Anonymous I do wish people would stop moaning about cat videos Lips are sealed

They're here to stay so accept it Wink

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!