cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stainless steel

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Stainless steel

Just a quick question for anyone here in the know..

Is stainless steel stainless all the way through the metal or is it just on the outside?

TIA

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
30 REPLIES
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Stainless steel

@7up 18/8, 18/4 stainless is stainless all the way through - it is the metals composition, nut just the exterior coating.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

jab1
Seasoned Pro

@shutter Thanks for the movie - I go past that water display at least twice a month as it is the entrance to Sheffield Station from the city centre, but I haven't seen the night-time displays - to be honest, I avoid city/town centres at night, they don't feel as safe as they used to when I used to go clubbing (many years ago), or maybe I'm just getting more aware.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Many years ago I got a stainless steel exhaust fitted to my car which was guaranteed to last for 10 years.......Except it did not.

Garage that sold it went bust, then opened again a few days later trading under a new name so guarantee was not worth the paper it was written on.

Community Veteran

Otherwise it would be pointless machining it.

Maybe you were thinking of galvanised?

Community Veteran

I know what galvanised is, i just wanted to know about stainless as i wasn't sure if the electrolysis carried the chrome into the metal or just the outside.

jab1
Seasoned Pro

@7up It isn't electrolysis that creates a true stainless steel but the chemical composition of the steel - i.e the elements and their proportions in the original melt.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@7up

7up wrote:

Just a quick question for anyone here in the know..

Is stainless steel stainless all the way through the metal or is it just on the outside?

TIA

A little bit of googling has found this page... which, I think, explains the "manufacturing process"  ( scroll down to that sub heading )..

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Stainless-Steel.html

jab1
Seasoned Pro

Nice link, @shutter, but as someone who worked for 30 years in the trade, I spotted one glaring error which may or may not matter for @7up's query - the omission of two other 'forming' processes - forging and casting. Obviously, if he was just thinking of knives and forks, for instance, then those processes are irelevant, but they do affect the capabilities of the finished product, but not the basic elements in them..

John
Community Veteran

jab1 wrote:

@7up It isn't electrolysis that creates a true stainless steel but the chemical composition of the steel - i.e the elements and their proportions in the original melt.

So there is more than one way its made then? - i thought it was just electrolysis.. i didn't realise it can also be done via the pot

Community Veteran

Tool steel, high carbon steel, mild steel, stainless steel...............................

It's just one in a long list of steel varieties.

No not galvanised or electrolysis electroplating.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Stainless steel is an iron and chromium alloy about 88/12 ratio (plus other elements). The chrome oxidises to form a protective layer in preference to the iron on exposure to water. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jab1
Seasoned Pro

@billnotben, @AlaricAdair - I thought that was what I had said earlier?

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hah! Tha' neglected the word "alloy" in your earlier attempts. Wink 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.