cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

St Georges Day

Devonian
Grafter

St Georges Day

I have been proudly flying the flag on my van today, as to have most of the guys at work...  even though Yodel tried to ban us, saying it may upset somebody... well TOUGH TITTIES.
There seem to be a lot more flags flying this year than last, and I have even seen a pub with a massive ribbon across it in the shape of a red cross.
There's special markets and events in lots of towns.
It's been lovely to see.
Is it just Devon, or is the rest of England joining in?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: St Georges Day

I saw a house with two St George`s flags as window dressing !... thought they were England footty supporters showing off..... until I saw this thread. !  Roll eyes
TORPC
Grafter

not seen any as yet, will ask SWMBO & the kids when they get back
Devonian
Grafter

When it's the Irish, Scottish or Welsh national day it's all over the TV and Radio... I think I heard St Georges Day mentioned once on thee radio today.  Angry
randpwar
Grafter

My son and daughter’s Sea Scouts took part in the St George’s Day parade around our local town on Saturday. Son was too busy flinging RIB’s around the Solent with them though so missed it for the first time in years
Community Veteran

It's a shame not much seems to be made of St Georges Day. Every year it fades away a bit more.
When I was younger I remember it being a big occasion with St Patricks day being something that just got a mention as happening "over there".
I half expected to see the Dad's Army episode on today, the one with the two St Georges.
itsme
Grafter

Patrick, David and Andrew had a connection to the country they are Saints for. What connection has George to England?
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Patrick had a connection to the country

Which one? The Roman St Patrick or the cleric St Patrick. Wink
Who was St George?
St. George is the patron saint of England. His emblem, a red cross on a white background, is the flag of England, and part of the British flag. St George's emblem was adopted by Richard The Lion Heart and brought to England in the 12th century. The king's soldiers wore it on their tunics to avoid confusion in battle.
Who was the real St George and what did he do to become England's patron saint?
St George was a brave Roman soldier who protested against the Romans' torture of Christians and died for his beliefs. The popularity of St George in England stems from the time of the early Crusades when it is said that the Normans saw him in a vision and were victorious.
One of the best-known stories about Saint George is his fight with a dragon. But it is highly unlikely that he ever fought a dragon, and even more unlikely that he ever actually visited England. Despite this, St George is known throughout the world as the dragon-slaying patron saint of England.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Which begs the question, where did the dragon part come from if there wasn't one?
Or maybe there was?  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I think the bottom line here is that we seem intent on just picking holes in the origins of our patron saint instead of just enjoying a national celebration like most other countries do.
Devonian
Grafter

Agreed.
We can pick holes in all tradition... Lets talk about Jesus and the virgin mother shall we?...  Maybe not!
How about Prophet Mohammed? 
Both are mumbo jumbo yet people follow them blindly.
However, here, in England, celebrating one's past is frowned upon and ridiculed just in case it upsets a 'visitor'.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't think anyone is picking holes in anything (though I've not read all the replies). In case that was aimed at me however I also wasn't picking holes in anything but was merely pointing out that rumours of flying fire breathing beasts don't just come from nowhere.
There must have been something that caused this dragon part to become legend.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
In case that was aimed at me

No. Smiley
It just seems the country in general with the help of the media.
Still a shame nothing much was shown on the telly like the Dad's Army episode I mentioned.
The only traditions that are supported in England seem to be just everyone elses.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Oh yes, as one of my Sea Scouts, when I was telling them they had to be smart and on time for the St G Parade., said to me donkeys years ago. " Ain't he the Patron Saint of the Clap?"  Of course the smug little sprog was right, but I didn't know until I checked.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I thought that was St Fiacre  Patron Saint of Sexually Transmitted Disease but then again checking I see that he is also the patron saint of skin disease sufferers and syphilitic people