Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

St. David's Day

Highlighted
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

St. David's Day

St. David's Day is the feast day of Saint David, the patron saint of Wales, and falls on 1 March, the date of Saint David's death in 589 AD. The feast has been regularly celebrated since the canonisation of David in the 12th century, though it is not a national holiday in the UK.

5c3f6a003cdad_event

3 REPLIES 3
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Re: St. David's Day

Also known as Dewi Sant here in Wales, and when all the school children dress up in national costume.

Great to see and an opportunity (as if they need it) to show how proud they are to be Welsh. What a pity they do not do something similar in England.

I'm doing my own bit for the old country though 365 days of the year by having a weathervane on my roof of St George fighting the (Welsh) dragon Wink

Fortunately nobody has burnt my house down yet!

JPN
Rising Star

I have had the Welsh Dragon flying from my flagpole in Northumberland today in honour of my Welsh connections. I also fly St George's Cross on his day, and the Saltire for St Andrew. The Union flag has a fly for the Queen's birthdays, and Remembrance Sunday. Plus any other occasion I feel warrants it. (Next outing probably March 30th).

I remember as a schoolboy in South Wales the daffodils usually being out for St David's Day. Up here, it's much rarer, though they are out this year, the first time I remember them out for March 1st. in almost two decades.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@JPN 

Well I don't suppose there is any point in having a flag pole if you are not going to get some good use out of it. Thumbs Up

My French (sorry, Breton) brother in law has one as well so a couple of years back I sent him over the flag of Owain Glyndwr - which must have puzzled the neighbours!