Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sri Lanka

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Sri Lanka

Today of all days, and explosions in Sri Lanka with many killed. Let's all hope Buddhist bombers are not responsible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48001720

10 REPLIES 10
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Re: Sri Lanka

No opinions on Sri Lanka then? 

*sigh*

I'm finding it strange how the media seem to have replaced the term 'Christian worship' with the more inclusive 'Easter worship' in an effort perhaps to be more politically correct, but why I have no idea.

Ah well, a tragedy too far, so less of an impact on European sensitivities than the no death Notre Dame inferno.   

TTman
Rising Star

@Minivanman 

Listening to the news sounds like they are blaming muslem jehadists for the attacks nor buddists.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well they certainly seem to be the ones doing the rounds at the moment although not seen any news on that m'self. My fear was that given the Buddhist although seemingly benign, are not beyond this sort of thing either with events in Myanmar being just one example.

Religion eh, it poisons everything.

In one disturbing Easter ritual the report of which appeared in The Independent, a Jewish effigy was being hanged and burned in Poland.

PS. Just catching the news on BBC about "foreign network" being responsible.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I cannot understand the logic of those who kill others in the name of religion.

Surely they insult the god(s) they believe in ?

Do they not believe ' their god' created all life and has the power to take life if he decided to do so ? What they are doing is making a decision on his behalf which suggests he is unable to do so.......can they not see the logic of that ?

Indeed all it will do is strengthen the resolve of those attacked and quite likely add to their numbers.

RobPN
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

The sooner the planet sees the back of religion the better, which after all is just a carry-over from the dark ages where it all began, and IMO it (all flavours) has no place in a modern world.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN 

That's not going to happen though is it as so many people need a religion of some sort, even if all logic denies it and only faith sustains it. 

I have no real problem with it myself, what I do have a problem with as said, is the poison it produces. 

Keep it yourself, don't indoctrinate the kids with it and like so much else these days, don't shove it in my face and expect me to comply.  

JPN
Rising Star

If by the 'dark ages' you mean the usual definition, of being the early middle ages, then both Judaism and Christianity pre-date that by some centuries, though Islam arose in that period.   Religion is a word that spans a huge range of philosophical systems. One could even include the communist regimes of the recent past in that: their killing in the name of their state/system is just as evil as recent events, though frighteningly it was rather logical and calculated.

The causes of such wickedness are always the same: Greed, envy, anger, the lust for power. 

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Greed, envy, anger, and the lust for power are human traits of survival, politics and religion are both constructs from which they grow. However, the former does not excuse itself by pretending to something it is not. Religion does, and seeks to fool us with false promises of an imagined after life and hell and damnation if we deny it's existence. 

It stifles debate and seeks unauthorised power unaccountable in the land of the living. For all it's ills at least democracy can find a home in politics, in religion it is nothing less than an athema that it would excommunicate if it could at the drop of a bishops hat or a mullahs turban.

I know who I'd rather have knocking at my door trying to sell me something.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:

Surely they insult the god(s) they believe in ?

They just use it as an excuse to go and commit mass murder for their pleasure - a bit like fox hunters have a thirst to see foxes suffer at the teeth of many dogs ripping it apart alive.

It's the same thing, terrorists crave mass murder while justifying it by using their religion / god. That's all it is - an excuse. They don't really care about their religion at all.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@RobPN wrote:

@Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

The sooner the planet sees the back of religion the better, which after all is just a carry-over from the dark ages where it all began, and IMO it (all flavours) has no place in a modern world.

Since the beginning of time man has always had the need to worship something, at least those who worshipped the Sun had some logic to their beliefs as without the sun there would be no life, indeed depending on where you live it also provides comfort by supplying heat and light.

Perhaps that is where light is good and the dark evil came from.

Despite our current knowledge based on clear evidence of where man came from some still want to believe in some magic or mystical idea it came from some higher power.

Made more sense in times when people did not have the evidence we have now and everyone thought the World was the centre of the universe.......despite the evidence many refuse to accept it.....or perhaps afraid to accept it