Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Squatting set to become a criminal offence

46 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Squatting set to become a criminal offence

I think householders should have right of entry into their own homes, with a few "friends" if needs be.
nadger
Rising Star

Fully agree, Oldjim  Smiley
Did, however, find it amusing when squatters moved into one of Gaddafi's family homes in posh part of Hampstead.
St3
All Star

Theres too much Squatting in these forums....  Cheesy
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

The last re-claimed squat I looked into, it didn't look much different to your description PlusComUK...disgusting!!
I cannot understand why this has taken so long. Or understand the mentality of those who think it is acceptable to "steal" other peoples property, whatever condition its in. It doesn't belong to them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I think its a witch hunt against the poor with no where else to go personally.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Can't see any home owner agreeing with that point of view.
Why should anyone be allowed to break into my home, change the locks, deny me access and trash the place?
Community Veteran

Home owners (aka people who have money) will always disagree with anything that is a threat to them.
As for breaking in, yes thats criminal damage / trespass. Why the police have been so soft on it for so long is beyond me. Squatting in the traditional sense was people taking advantage of an empty property that was unlocked (eg open window).
As usual though, its the cries of the better off crying about the completely wrong thing that has tackled the wrong problem. The real problem is breaking and entering into someones home - something the police have had powers to deal with for many years but refuse as they see 'squatting' as a civil issue and an easy way of getting back to the station for more doughnuts. This is the real problem.
How many times have you heard people complaining about people squatting in disused factories, disused (and dereclict) houses etc? Like I said, its the homeowners crying out about the wrong thing causing the government to tackle it the completely wrong way. It's the police who should be held accountable for this not the poor.
David_W
Rising Star

Seeing this issue from one side only is harsh to say the least.  Squatters would "take over" run down buildings that were in a state of neglect, sometimes uninhabitable and make it a "home" rather than living out on the dangerous streets.  We experience a property boom and suddenly these run down houses are worth a lot of money so they get sold off at auction or done up and sold on for lots of money, the knock on effect being less houses for people to squat in.
Some squatters got around this by finding vacant houses and just moving in, down in Cornwall there are a lot of vacant houses, people call them "holiday homes" or as MP's would call them "something to claim as a 2nd home for a while, oh and lets add £50,000 to our expenses account to do it up" which of course means it starts to affect people who are rich enough to have a 2nd home in a county where house prices are high (seriously, a parking spot for 1 car, yes, 1 car, is in the market in St Ives - a couple of miles away from me - for £50,000) so we get a change in the law.
Squatters should have no rights to invade an empty property that is in good condition, a house waiting for tenants for instance, or a holiday home, but if there is a property that has been neglected and forgotten, why shouldn't it be put to some sort of good use rather that sitting there rotting away?  When the developers suddenly find out that the area is due for regeneration so the price of property is going to go through the roof they could start legal proceedings, now they will just call the cops and someone who has lived in a property for several years will now be arrested.
Fixes: 47

@nadger...absolutely!
I'm currently a home owner but have in my dark past been completely homeless.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Whether a window is open or not doesn't (or shouldn't) give anybody (without a warrant before somebody mentions it) the right to enter any property that doesn't belong to them. Its morally wrong it is now criminally wrong and about time too.
Of course its the home owners complaining about squatters, the property belongs to them not the squatters. It makes no difference how many homes or properties the owners own, they are their property not squatters. There is no adequate contrary argument for that, however much some see it as morally unsupportable.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Whether a window is open or not doesn't (or shouldn't) give anybody (without a warrant before somebody mentions it) the right to enter any property that doesn't belong to them. Its morally wrong it is now criminally wrong and about time too.

So you're saying that derelict buildings that are of absolutely no use to anyone should not be put to a useful purpose to solve a social issue? Then you wonder why there is so much crime, hatred and then riots amongst the poor? Do you seriously not understand that people need the basics to survive?
Honestly, some people would make it an offence to be alive and poor if they had the chance.
Quote from: David
Seeing this issue from one side only is harsh to say the least.  Squatters would "take over" run down buildings that were in a state of neglect, sometimes uninhabitable and make it a "home" rather than living out on the dangerous streets.  We experience a property boom and suddenly these run down houses are worth a lot of money

And thats the whole point really isn't it. It's about taking away from the poor to make sure the rich are looked after.
I'll repeat again for those who are still misunderstanding the issue: Breaking and entering into someones own home and squatting is morally wrong - Yes I agree with that without any shadow of a doubt. Squatting in derelict disused run down buildings that are of no interest to anyone is harmless and frankly serves a pretty good purpose. If you still disagree with that then you need to wake up and realise that you're just as guilty as the others for depriving the most vulnerable in society of a basic roof over their head.

Quote from: Sprite
Squatting in derelict disused run down buildings that are of no interest to anyone is harmless and frankly serves a pretty good purpose.

The problems arise when the building or the land it stands on is required by the original owner for legitimate purpose and the occupants (squatters) refuse to leave.
Community Veteran

In fairness you do have a valid point there and I believe that squatters rights should also be subject to the same eviction rules as tennants when it comes to getting them out.
Again, this new law is total overkill on behalf of the negligence of the police services and its aimed at tackling the wrong problem the wrong way. I feel sickened by it to be honest. There are people out there squatting in properties that no-one gives a damn about and as of today they are criminals.
No-one deserves to be criminalised for being poor and trying to survive. If any of you really support that then you're not right in the head.

Would you, for example decriminalise theft of food from a supermarket on the grounds that the perpetrator is simply trying to survive?