cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Squash!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Squash!

I know we have a few professional tennis fans on this forum but, has anybody been watching the squash coverage from the Glasgow Commonwealth Games?
I was watching a match yesterday evening where rallies of 60, 70, 80 strokes were commonplace I counted one rally with 102 strokes that ended in a let. Most of these shots were played as full blooded drives from all corners and positions in the court. The match lasted a little over two hours with the only two minute or so breaks were those between games.
The sheer athleticism and fitness of top class squash players makes in my opinion professional tennis players seem er! somewhat prima-donnaish. Ok tennis players probably cover more court area if a set is not won by a series of aces, but I wonder how they would cope in a squash court.
Maybe I'm biased as I used to play squash at something short of county level, so I'll declare an interest first.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Squash!

I play squash and have seen some of the top ranked players at my club. I have to say long rallies that end up with a let is a reason that I do not enjoy being a spectator as I find it boring.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I lean towards you there itsme, But my comparison was the fitness and stamina of the players of the two sports, not the spectator spectacle.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Tennis is physically tougher.
itsme
Grafter

Fitness and stamina are very impressive as they seem to play effortlessly it's not until you see how much sweat their tee shirts are holding that make you realise how much work they are doing.
In the past I've worn a heart rate monitor when playing and was surprised at how high it got with the average being higher than what I normally aim for in the gym. I was surprised because I leave the gym more knackered than the squash court.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Tennis is physically tougher.

At my club more older people play tennis than squash. The older squash players either switch to tennis or racket ball as these do less damage to knees 
Community Veteran

We don't have squash at my club but some of our tennis players also play squash. They say squash is more physically demanding. I'll stick to tennis I think Wink
Community Veteran

I was comparing on a professional level Smiley
At an amateur level, it depends how long you want to play, how much you want to move etc.
Community Veteran

When I was much younger I played squash and badminton. Trouble was it was difficult to play both.
So, we switched to badminton and then nothing!  Shocked
Geoff,
York.