cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spuds-u-like?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Spuds-u-like?

After many years of just picking up a bag of spuds at the supermarket, I went to a farmers and bought a 25k bag.
"What variety do you want?" He said.
"There's varieties?"
"Arghh, (farmer arghh, not a pirate arghh or a Frankie Howerd 'ooh ah, missus''.
So after a chat he recommends ones called Picasso. Absolutely brilliant for jackets, roasting, chipping and perfect, lump free mash. Only downside is they can easily be overboiled.
Looked up on web, and there are many different varieties, not just red, white and king Edwards.
What's your spud-u-like /
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Spuds-u-like?

Desiree red potatoes are very good as jacket spuds, but those supplied to supermarkets seem to me to lack flavour, try and get them farmers markets if you can caked in earth and wash them just before cooking (skins on of course)...lovely. Cyprus are nice as Jacket spuds as well, but I do find if in a hurry Cyprus don't micro-wave in their skins very well, they can become very hard if the timing is not right on.
Actually, lack of flavour with supermarket potatoes seems fairly common, even Maris Piper seem a bit bland.
If we're out and about I often pop into farm shops etc. if we pass near to one, just to see what potatoes they have available.
Keep them in a cool dark place, but not in plastic bags, and not in the fridge, they will quickly dry out.
My late brother-in-law was a farmer in Huntingdon, he used to keep potatoes in old fashioned sacks in a hole dug under his front step, he would often give us a sack when we visited.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Incidentally, if you remember them, Spud-U-Like used to be my favourite take-away.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

A friend owned a Spud-U-Like franchise but I think the whole chain has now gone.
WTF
Grafter

Depends what the spuds are for - floury onesa are better for roasties, waxy ones for boiled or chips. 
Having said that, I usually go for the 'value' ones  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

King Edwards - washed and baked in their skins in a wood fired pizza oven. Served with salted butter.
Yum!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I grow my own - at least the salad ones as I don't have enough space for the maincrop as well
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We keep potatoes for months, the flavour never changes and storage is not a problem either, their called instant mash ! Cheesy
Not sure where they grow them but I have never seen them at a Farmers Market!  Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran

To quote the old advert - For mash get Smash
Yuck Sad Sad
But is does show my afge  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

If I'm roasting or chipping them then either Maris Piper or King Edwards
For everyday use I just use Tesco's normal spuds - they tend to be a little cheaper and they change varieties every now and again.
The current batch we have (5kg bag for £3.75 ish) are very very tasty just boiled in a little salted water.
Fixes: 122

@Dom S +1

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I used to buy 5lb bags for mashing and throw away 2 to 3 pounds.
I now save a bit of money and buy frozen mash.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Have you tried buying a 5lb (2.5kg) bag and storing it in the salad tray of the fridge
That stops them sprouting and they will last for several weeks
Fixes: 47

No but I'll give it a try.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 122

Quote from: Strat
I now save a bit of money and buy frozen mash.
Tesco's own is quite good and I have bought them when SWMBO is away and I want a quick snack (pork pie, mash and baked beans).
I seem to remember a few years ago you could buy frozen mash with added cheese or onion.
Quote from: Oldjim
To quote the old advert - For mash get Smash
Yuck Sad Sad

Have to agree. Like powdered cardboard with added milk Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still