cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprouts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sprouts

Well, the wife has put the sprouts on the boil for our Xmas dinner. A day per ounce plus a week for them to rest out of the water.
Shocked
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Sprouts

Our pub, has put sprouts out for the Sunday Carvery, for the past two weeks now..... !..
GREAT.. I thought... I love sprouts... only... they were rock hard.... I am sure they just put them into a pan of boiling hot water, ( not actually boiling on a gas stove).. until they had warmed through.
YUK ! 
I like my sprouts cooked... so that they are " softish".. yet still a bit crunchy.... 
Looks like I shall have to continue with the carrots and roast parsnip next Sunday ! ! !....  Cry
Community Veteran

Ever tried sprouts with two fried eggs on top? Well worth it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I also love sprouts, they say the colder they are when harvested the sweeter they are.
They do have an unfortunate side effect but that's another story.
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro

Christmas is for sharing - so you can have my sprouts. Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
they say the colder they are when harvested the sweeter they are

I would never pick any of my own sprouts unless they've had a good frost on them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I have enough issues with digestion thanks, my eating sprouts would be against UN treaties on the use of chemical weapons... Shocked
nanotm
Pro

you should try the ones from Iceland with the apples and bacon mixed through there fab and imho have 3 x the gas generating power of standard sprouts (must be all them aditives they use)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Our pub, has put sprouts out for the Sunday Carvery, for the past two weeks now..... !..
GREAT.. I thought... I love sprouts... only... they were rock hard.... I am sure they just put them into a pan of boiling hot water, ( not actually boiling on a gas stove).. until they had warmed through.
YUK ! 
I like my sprouts cooked... so that they are " softish".. yet still a bit crunchy.... 
Looks like I shall have to continue with the carrots and roast parsnip next Sunday ! ! !....  Cry

I went to a carvery last night and had the same problem. The sprouts looked nice on the plate but were rock solid. I've been cooking sprouts at home for the last few weeks and really enjoying them.
Sprouts this year are much bigger than usual due to the mild weather.
thejudge
Grafter

Quote from: twocvbloke
I have enough issues with digestion thanks, my eating sprouts would be against UN treaties on the use of chemical weapons... Shocked

Well, you know what they say; it's an ill wind...    Wink
nanotm
Pro

I thought the phrase was "wherever you may be let your wind blow free"
at least that's the part of the verse my dad was allowed to say in front of us growing up Tongue
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sprouts, like Christmas, come around every year !!
Quote from: PlusComUK
We love our Sprouts !
Cooked al dente, lovely and sweet.
A recent TV programme said that growers have been producing sweeter tasting Sprouts over the past few years.
We bought some different Sprouts from local suppliers, and a couple of Supermarkets last week, to test their longevity before use, so we don't need to buy them just before Christmas.
We found that Tesco Sprouts, kept in the fridge unwrapped, lasted the longest, and still tasted good after nearly a week.

Sprouts on a stalk, they didn't last well at all, and were not that great tasting anyway !

Guess what her job is ?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4711004/supermarket-scout-10000-brussel-sprouts-a-year.htm...
She's a supermarket sprout scout !
Preacherlady
Grafter

The. BBC are pushing Sprouts with their intro pieces.  Are they being sponsored by a Sprout Council or something?

Cheesy
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I love sprouts as long as they are cooked properly, just to when the start to go soft but still with a bit of a crunch. I had my first today at a local pub carvery and they were quite good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, the chef must have taken note of my "complaint" ! ! !... the sprouts we had yesterday were "just right"...and a very enjoyable meal it turned out to be....