Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight on Finland......

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Spotlight on Finland......

........ and no, it's not on that Santa Claus construct, it's on Finland as it becomes the first country in the world to get rid of all school subjects, and well done them I say.

I've long held the view that education has become unfit for purpose, introduced as it was to provide fodder for factories and a population with the education needed to help drive the industrial revolution. So what are we educating the kids for these days, let's ask ourselves that. 

Teach the basics if we must, but so much else needs to be shelved - religious education for starters. Need to know all about it? - then save it for that self funded Philosophy degree, that should get you a decent job! 

https://brightside.me/wonder-curiosities/finland-will-become-the-first-country-in-the-world-to-get-r...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Spotlight on Finland......

Education in schools now seems to be all about turning out an endless stream of office drones. Computer use in schools has only made that worse.

But even if you're not religious I think religious education is essential. It's a fundamental part of how the world works, understanding how and why different peoples act and behave, More important than how to change the font in a word document.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I have no issue with religion being taught or even better, read at University, but not as a single stand alone subject as is often the case which is why I think it should be under the umbrella of Philosophy..... and not truth.

Two of my daughters studied Theology at University, one teaches Religious Studies - and both totally and utterly agree. The trouble is the school curriculum dictates how it should be provided.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Well that's certainly a different approach.

I suspect many school children are bored with some school lessons and therefore get better marks in those subjects they are interested in and have teachers who have the ability to motivate them.

Some topics could indeed be dropped or perhaps there should be a option for pupils to choose subjects ?

However it could be a dangerous path to go down, at present the country is near the top in education, at one time the UK was near the top until the government started meddling with it, now we are well down the list.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In my last three years in secondary school, we got to pick three subjects we wanted to do in place of others, I picked Double science (counted as two subjects) and Design & Tech, cos my mind is more interested in that line of subjects, but, it still was interspersed with maths, english, drama, history, geography, etc., which were not really of interest to me...

The way I see how education could be changed is to use infant & primary schools to teach the three Rs, Reading, Writing and 'rithmatic (yes, I know, the last one is spelled with an A at the beginning before the grammar nazis take hold!), and secondary education should be a system where on the first day, maybe over a week too, you get carted off to a cleared-out sports hall to visit various areas of subjects you want to learn about, and choose them from there based on what they show and what you can do in those subjects, and from then on that's your line of education based on what you are interested in, and like the Finnish example, combine the various individual subjects into that line of education...

That way, you're not filling kids heads with rubbish they don't need in their heads just to pass state-issued examinations and meet state-issued targets for figures that put far too much stress on kids, and thus they leave school fully educated in what they want to to when they leave school or move onto college and university... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It also worth bearing in mind that once people go to university they can choose what subject they want but that presents a problem as we have people getting degrees in subjects such as media studies but the total number holding that degree is well in excess of the number of jobs that require that degree.

Equally there are vacancies, often filled by those from other countries because we do not have enough people here with those degrees to fill the jobs, examples being medical & qualified nursing staff

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I worked for a major Finnish company for over 11 years and visited Finland on average about 6 times a year. The people I met were extremely well informed and well educated.
They don't start formal education until about 7 years of age - but do have a lot of pre-schools where play is the predominate activity.
The Finns do a lot of things better that we do in UK - it is a state of mind developed over many years - so I don't know if you could just transplate their ideas into the UK peacemeal.