cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spoof phone call?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Spoof phone call?

At 4.45am yesterday, and again at 4.50am and 4.55 am, I had a call from "International" (as per the caller display). Leapt out of bed fearing the worst, to be greeted by "This is a call from eBay. If you are expecting this call please press 5". Second time it was 6, third time 9. Didn't press anything of course.
eBay say they don't make this kind of call..  anyone else experience this? Very annoying at that time of day.  Angry
4 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Spoof phone call?

Cant say I have, Well not with ebay, I have had pin codes sent to me via the phone though for subscriptions I may have bought ( first time buyer ) I hope your ebay account has not been tampered with, Failing that this could be the start of something new and nasty, Definitely something to watch out for!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes I have but only when trying to verify as a seller moons ago so I could sell a one off item. It's done to verify your landline and thus your address.
Your next step is to determine one of 2 things:
Has someone got your ebay password OR was the call a scam.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've been registered with eBay since 2002 and never given them a phone number, so it's not on record on their system. My address was verified through the Paypal/Bank debit arrangement.
Account seems to be ok...  but password changed just in case. Very strange.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Scam call then by the sounds of it but ebay verify things differently to paypal despite one owning the other.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!