cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spoof Paypal email - but should I be concerned?

Fixes: 121

Spoof Paypal email - but should I be concerned?

I received the following email and it obviously is NOT from PayPal (senders address, lack of formatting and the link - which I've taken out doesn't go to Paypal). I've sent a copy to spoof@paypal.com but the concern is that I have recently made a purchase for £9.95. Not to Speedyshare and on the 12th not the 13th.
I've just checked my PayPal account and there's no unauthorised transactions showing.
Just ran all security software which I normally do every Wednesday to ensure nothing untoward is running and all is fine. So, is this just a coincidence or should I be looking for something more sinister lurking around? I think the former but just wanted other's opinions.
PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system.
# 13 August 2013: You made a payment of £9.95 GBP to Speedyshare from your PayPal account.
If you have not authorized this charge, log in as soon as possible to cancel the payment.
www .paypal.co.uk
You will get a full refund after your payment will be cancelled.
If you made this payment and you will like to be approved just ignore this email.
PayPal is required by law to comply with European Union Anti-Money Laundering regulations by collecting information from customers, when we have any suspicion about an fraudulent payment.
These steps need to be completed within 2 days to comply with this regulation.
We appreciate your business and apologise for any inconvenience.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Spoof Paypal email - but should I be concerned?

I would send it to speedyshare as well, the problem maybe on their side.
jslane
Grafter

I get these a lot and just delete them or report as spam to SpamCop. It's nothing to worry about! Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Never get these type of emails, apart from receipt for your order etc...
report it to PP
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up

Normally I just report to the relevant company then delete it. It was the £9.95 coincidence that threw me a little.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Razer
Grafter

Well the bad English gives it away.
'You will get a full refund after your payment will be cancelled.'
'If you made this payment and you will like to be approved ...'
'... Anti-Money Laundering ... customers, when ... an fraudulent payment.'
'These steps need to be completed within 2 days to comply with this regulation.'
What regulation? Oh, right, the "anti-money" regulation ...

I was under no illusion about the email being genuine.
Rather I was concerned about keylogging or other software that could have got the PayPal and £9.95 bit right then targeted me with the email.
Having been the victim of fraud a couple of times previously I am more wary than I was.

Razer
Grafter

May just be coincidence, Mav. £9.95 I guess is a pretty common price and better if they are fishing, to fish for around £10 a shot than the more common 99p. You can always do a few scans of your system, which I'm sure you probably already have done.
Community Veteran

I'm with John-S on this one.  In addition to reporting to PP I would also send it to Spamcop.
Community Veteran

If this is ebay related then one thing worth checking is in your site prefs.
Go to your account / site prefs and look at "Third-party authorisations".
For most people there will be nothing there. Or just something for the likes of Turbo Lister or some selling app.
Or if you entered the ebay facebook summer comp even that will be there. That's the price of entering the comp I suppose that they get permission to see your buying habits.
But at least you can delete them. If you don't know what it's for just delete it. If it was some necessary it will come back on its own.
The point is from what I've read, some not nice people sometimes put stuff here without your permission or you even knowing.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
# 13 August 2013: You made a payment of £9.95 GBP to Speedyshare from your PayPal account.

A similar thing happened to me last week.  I had an email from my American bank asking me to log in to a link and verify my details.  I had recently carried out a transaction for the amount stated in the email.  I forwarded the email to the bank to look into.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

@ArtMo
Are you american?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

No, I'm not but do run a US account.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Oh I see,  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The usual sign of a spoofed paypal email is a failure to address you by the name which you registered with Paypal. However  treat anything received unexpectedly from them with some suspicion particularly if it asks you click on a link within the email. If it is a hoax/spoof and looks particularly convincing I always report it to spoof@paypal.com in the hope they'll follow up and prevent less cautious people from being conned.
I generally look at the "source code" of any suspect email to inspect the addresses embedded in such messages, but not everyone has the knowledge to do that.
As a rule I try to use different email addresses for different suppliers to reduce the impact of someone hacking a supplier's server and harvesting your personal details and using them somewhere else.  Most email suppliers will allow you to create alternate email names for your account.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.