cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spontaneous Combustion

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Spontaneous Combustion

Recently purchased some Linseed Oil for some work I am doing but never realised how dangerous it could be in certain circumstances.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yq6VW-c2Ts
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Spontaneous Combustion

Makes me want to get some and find out whether it's true or not... Grin
robski1
Rising Star
Fixes: 4

A lot of the natural wood preserving oils have the same properties. Teak Oil is one of the worse, I speak from experience.  Sad
Community Veteran

I know of a house that burnt down because of a discarded rag!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Must admit it came as a surprise to me, the newspapers are mostly filled with rubbish but something as important as this has never been mentioned.
Whilst I accept not every household in the country would have some use for it, that still leaves thousands who do have a use for it, ie used on cricket bats, furniture etc.
Anyone want to take a guess what I want it for ?
I do not want it for a cricket bat, furniture or anything illegal !
Go have a guess, answer tomorrow !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gleneagles
Anyone want to take a guess what I want it for ?

Automatic campfire lighter? Grin
Community Veteran

Youv'e won the booby prize with that answer.
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Insurance claim?  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I notice that they are using boiled linseed oil - I wonder if raw has the same effect as it takes a lot longer to dry
Raw Linseed Oil: When we talk about “Raw” linseed oil, we are talking about the type that is pure and not mixed with any other ingredients. This type of oil takes a very long time to dry. While raw linseed oil can be very effective at preserving some wood items – such as those that are kept outdoors and in harsh natural environments – it is not a product that should be used on indoor furniture because it simply takes too long to dry.
Boiled Linseed Oil: The term “Boiled” is deceptive when it comes to describing this variation of linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil is not, in fact, boiled. Instead it is a substance that is mixed with other ingredients that speed up the oil’s drying time. It is called “Boiled” because it mimics the characteristics of some types of boiled oils. The ingredients that are added are solvents. The solvents create a type of wood finishing agent that makes it a top choice for finishing wood furniture.
Community Veteran

Apparently boiled linseed oil, is not actually boiled. It is Linseed oil with other oils added.
As for uses, it has many various medical uses. Treatment for things from gout to impotence problems, nerve damage etc etc etc...  All sounds very interesting, just got to prevent yourself bursting into flames! Shocked
http://www.seedguides.info/linseed-oil/
nanotm
Pro

I burnt down a workshed about 30 years ago having oiled a couple of cricket bats ready for the following weeks match thinking I was helping out my dad, the insurance initially refused to pay up claiming it was arson and then after a bit more investigation (took them a few months) they did and our school all got granted some special fire starting lessons and found out about oxidising chemicals to prevent any other kids from feeling helpful and having the same accident.
stupid thing is it was some potassium based garden stuff that caused the fire when the roof leaked,  not the pile of linseed soaked rags i'd dropped on the floor, they probably would have done the job eventually but never got the chance .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

What I did with it was to mix the Raw Linseed oil with Turpentine & Beeswax ?
Anyone any wiser ?
The following (long video) provides the answer in the first minute, the rest of the video is how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAHx0KBpT4
Made the stuff up this morning and guess it's saved me about £20 on shop prices, I guess most people could not be bothered to do this but I enjoy doing things like this.
Used for my hiking boots.
Smiley