cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sponsors

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sponsors

My bowls club has just failed to obtain a grant from the local parish council. I'm not on the committee, so at this early stage I'm not too sure how important an issue that may turn out to be.
I have though asked if the committee have ever considered local sponsorship from local shops and businesses.
Does anybody know if this is an organisational or legal minefield. Or just a matter of getting the above to provide funds in exchange <in this case> for having their details included prominently on our web site. Or some advertising round our green.
This is just a dip of a toe in the water at the moment, but if any info or experience is available it would be greatly appreciated..
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Sponsors

You have a website....
Local businesses could be persuaded to advertise, (or get links from) your website, and you would get "paid per click"
Do you also have a "paper" programme,  or monthly newsletter?  advertising from local businesses on a 6 monthly basis?  (even if you only get 6 businesses at £10 per 6 month period........)? ? ?
Not sure about sponsorship legalities... always thought that a "sponsor" paid for the upkeep of something, and in return got a "name board".... like advertising above, in return... may be just as simple as that... but I should think you need some sort of "contract" to ensure continued support/sponsorship....
Community Veteran

I don't think there is a minefield in sponsorship at a local level.  Many youth football teams for example have their kit supplied by a local business in exchange for their logo on the items.
Initially it may be worth speaking to any companies you use for equipment supply or maintenance.
Community Veteran

Thanks shutter. We do have a printed fixtures booklet, the cost of which is covered by local shops and businesses advertising in it. Largely the same shops and businesses that would be targeted for sponsorship I would guess.
Thanks artmo (just reviewed your reply as it was posted while I was typing) That was exactly the kind of thing that was in the back of my mind.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

In fairness I don't know all the details yet. The green is owned by the parish council who also pay for its very meticulous upkeep, a not inconsiderable cost, and the club pays a negotiated rent. So where exactly the "grant" comes in I've yet to be acquainted with. Fortuitously its the AGM this evening. While I'm not officially on the committee I am co-opted on to it at frequent intervals, largely to do with the web site and local advertising. Hence my interest.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Asa "twist" on local advertising.... you may see how the club members could "validate" using the local suppliers as their "personal recommendation" on the advert..
e.g. Mr. Petlew, of the local Bowls club, always uses, and recommends "Harry`s Haircutting shop"... for his personal grooming"...
so you go to the business, and say to them... how about advertising in our monthly mag .... it`ll cost you  £XXX.00p for a year, however we can get Mr. Petlew to add his personal recommendation on your advert...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
In fairness I don't know all the details yet. The green is owned by the parish council who also pay for its very meticulous upkeep, a not inconsiderable cost, and the club pays a negotiated rent. So where exactly the "grant" comes in I've yet to be acquainted with. Fortuitously its the AGM this evening.

So the club is being run to make a profit to line someone pockets?
Community Veteran

I wasn't going to dignify that fatuous comment with a reply but, if you think that having the green tended by the owners rather than by the club means there are no other expenses to worry about for a club that runs a bar, meals at home matches, affiliations, insurance, upkeep of buildings, printing costs, expenses to be sub-letted to an indoor club since we don't have an indoor facility of our own, not to mention the just short of a five figure sum for the rent. All to be covered by the 80 odd members annual fees. Denial of a grant sounds like a serious problem to me and certainly doesn't leave much left over for somebody to trouser for himself.