Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spokeo - got your info?

WildRose52
Grafter

Spokeo - got your info?

Have you guys heard of this site :  http://www.spokeo.com/
They collect all email addresses, and  info from every social networking website
you use.
This site seems worse than Google.

[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): thread moved to a more appropriate board.]
19 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Re: Spokeo - got your info?

Didn't return any UK based matches for me but then again i try to hide my personal info from the general public where possible.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MrC
Grafter

Quote from: WildRose52
They collect all email addresses, and  info from every social networking website
you use.
So another poorly researched scaremongering post. This search engine uses publicly available data so the only info from a social networking site it can amalgamate is that which you make public in the first place. As for email addresses well they're public almost by definition.
This site seems worse than Google.
Another valueless comment.
Lurker
Grafter

Couldn't find me or my wife at all, and our names are both very much in the public domain, as well as various ways to contact us.
Seems pretty useless to me.
Community Veteran

Funny, didn't find me at all and I have a fairly distinctive name.
In fact, I'm pretty easy to find
B.
Lurker
Grafter

Going against one of my more public email addresses, rather than just my name, all that it appeared able to do was a DNS lookup, and returned the MX record for my mail domain.
Not really much of a discovery - as MrC says, this is something that is purposely easy to find out.
EDIT: Not quite to the extent of BZ, but if you Google my name, the first 5 out of 6 are all me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

WoW !..... that is truly amazing...... Is it the TRUTH ?
Nah...... look at this.....
I put in Gerry Emson into the search box...... and here is the answer

We could not locate 'Gerry Emson'.
Are you sure you spelled the person's name correctly?

Erm..... no.... not really sure if I did.....  Undecided 
and that my friends ........................................ IS THE TRUTH.................... AND I CAN PROVE IT ! !  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Loombucket
Grafter

Tinfoil 'ats!  Get yer tinfoil 'ats 'ere!  Keep the govmint from reading your thoughts!
Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I`m dumbfounded !  Lips are sealed
WildRose52
Grafter

Below is a link to the `original` posted warning :
http://standeyo.com/NEWS/10_Sci_Tech/100319.Spokeo.html
It was posted on a site called Millenium Ark by Holly Deyo and I can assure she does
not put warnings out without due reason.    Her husband Stan Deyo is a Scientist, &
both are well respected people.
Admittingly the site is far more intrusive in the U.s. than in Britain.
Here it is merely collecting data on Email addresses & other info from social networking sites.
In contrast in the U.S. there`s reports that its collecting data such as `value of property` - `persons
income` and more.
Also in UK it doesnt appear able to track ppl by their telephone number, but in the U.S. it is doing.
You might notice that where it says to check a person from their telephone number it does say `enter a 10-digit number`
and therefore this clearly relates to U.S. and not the UK.
However, it does demonstrate that theres sites out there who are trawling all the social networking sites
for info.      How many more are there that we dont know about?
Do with it as you will.
WildRose52
Grafter

Hey, someone found OBLaden with it lol
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=osama%20binladen
perhaps he`s on facebook?  Grin
Joking apart though, if you click on any of those Search results for that name,
you should get an idea about the invasion of privacy because you`ll see it says
`show full address`
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

It was posted on a site called Millenium Ark...

A reliable site, obviously  Wink
The Cosmic Conspiracy 2010 Final Edition – Since 1994 I have wanted to release more details of the coming fake alien arrival on our planet. The case I put forward in my first book in 1978, The Cosmic Conspiracy was for a man-made alien arrival using suppressed technology to fool the people of Earth into a one-world dictatorship.
The new information I am releasing is from the Book of Daniel. I spent the last two months re-translating just eight verses of Daniel. This translation is reproduced in Hebrew and English for those who wish to see how I arrived at the astonishing message in those verses. They warn of a huge alien god deception in the last days of this age, which is now. The deception will be created with the help of the leader of the New World Order that is forming as I write these words.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: Force

The Cosmic Conspiracy 2010 Final Edition – Since 1994 I have wanted to release more details of the coming fake alien arrival on our planet. The case I put forward in my first book in 1978, The Cosmic Conspiracy was for a man-made alien arrival using suppressed technology to fool the people of Earth into a one-world dictatorship.
The new information I am releasing is from the Book of Daniel. I spent the last two months re-translating just eight verses of Daniel. This translation is reproduced in Hebrew and English for those who wish to see how I arrived at the astonishing message in those verses. They warn of a huge alien god deception in the last days of this age, which is now. The deception will be created with the help of the leader of the New World Order that is forming as I write these words.

Which, boiled down to the nitty gritty, in the bottom of the pan..... means....
Ooops I got it wrong the first time, even if I did make a few shillings from the book..... Ah!.... I know, I`ll do another book, and maybe people will think I got it right this time.... However....
he then goes and PROVES it is the TRUTH with the last line of the quote.....

The deception will be created with the help of the leader of the New World Order that is forming as I write these words.

So his "deception" will be created.............................................................................................. as I write these words...!    Roll eyes
WildRose52
Grafter

You folks take things far too lightly - and are far too quick to mock.
Maybe after you`ve read the sources that Spokeo go to in order to get people`s data,
then you`ll realise these sort of sites are a danger.

Here are the FAQS from "spokeo". Not nice.
1. What is Spokeo?
Spokeo People Search is a search engine specialized in aggregating people-related information from phone books, social networks, marketing lists, business sites, and other public sources. Spokeo’s algorithm organizes seemingly unrelated data into coherent people profiles, giving you the most comprehensive intelligence about anyone you want to find.
2. What is Spokeo Premium?
Spokeo Premium is a paid membership for exclusive access to data such as people’s wealth, consumer records, email contacts, mobile numbers, social network profiles, and more. Spokeo aggregates this premium data from expensive marketing databases, and Spokeo Premium members pay a small monthly or yearly fee to access it.
3. How do I cancel my account?
We are sorry if Spokeo doesn’t meet your expectations at this time. We are very receptive to new ideas, and we greatly encourage you to contact us about any issues you’ve encountered. If you do not wish to renew your subscription, you may cancel it by logging into your account and going to the "Settings" tab. This can also be taken care of by contacting Customer Support. Canceling the subscription will not affect the subscription you have already paid for, giving you premium access until it expires. If you do not wish to utilize your account any longer and would like to permanently deactivate it, please click here: Deactivate Account. Please note that if you have a paid subscription, deactivating your account will permanently delete any remaining time that you have already paid for. For your security, you must be logged into your account in order to deactivate it. Please do not hesitate to contact Customer Support if you have any questions.
4. How can I remove my information from Spokeo search?
Spokeo respects your privacy, and you can easily opt out of Spokeo’s public search if desired. Please note that since the information aggregated by Spokeo is publicly available, opting out of Spokeo does NOT remove the information from its original sources, which are hundreds of additional websites. You can remove your name and phone number search results from the following link: www.spokeo.com/privacy. If you need assistance removing your listing, please contact Customer Support.
You may remove your information listed on social networks by deleting your profiles or by setting them to “Private.” Spokeo’s Privacy Mirroring Technology can detect the latest privacy settings of your content, and will update our database accordingly. If you would like to remove your information from all of these websites, please consult ReputationDefender or other privacy-protection services.
5. Can anyone know who I am searching for?
No, all your Spokeo searches are completely anonymous. Spokeo is not a social network where people meet new friends online. Rather, Spokeo is a search engine that people use to research other people’s information. Spokeo does not notify anyone about what you are reading, and Spokeo does not disclose your search history.
6. Does Spokeo guarantee data accuracy?
Spokeo aggregates data from over 50 types of sources. Some sources (phone books, real estate listings, etc.) are fairly accurate, whereas the other sources (online surveys, marketing lists, etc.), are not. Spokeo does not originate or create data, so Spokeo data is only as good as its original sources. Spokeo does not guarantee data accuracy, and its data should only be used as a reference.
7. How often does Spokeo update its data?
Spokeo tries to update its data as soon as the original data sources update theirs. Some data sources, like social networks, update their data almost in real-time, and Spokeo will update its cache within a few days. Other data sources, like phone books, refresh their data once every three months, so Spokeo might aggregate outdated data. Spokeo is a data aggregator, not a data source. Therefore, Spokeo cannot obtain data that is newer than the original source.
8. What can I do if there’s not a lot of information on someone?
Many sources aggregated by Spokeo are actually not intended for people search purposes, but Spokeo makes its best efforts to combine the disorganized data into coherent people profiles. That said, some data cannot be seamlessly integrated, and you may need to provide additional information in order to access it. Spokeo accepts three types of searches right now: (1) full name, (2) phone number, and (3) email address. If you cannot find someone by name, try searching by their phone number or email address to receive more results.
9. Can someone spam through Spokeo?
No, Spokeo does not permit its contacts data to be used for spam-like behaviors or mass marketing purposes. Spokeo has several security checks in place to ensure the integrity of everyone’s data. If you believe that your contact’s data has been compromised, please gather as much evidences as possible and contact Spokeo’s Customer Support right away.

10. What can I do if something is not working as expected?
Spokeo has just launched its new 4.0 version, and many features are completely overhauled. In addition, we are still in the process of upgrading millions of user accounts from Spokeo 3.0 to Spokeo 4.0. This is not an easy task, so there may be unexpected bugs. If something is not working correctly for you, please contact our Customer Support right away so that we can resolve any issues for you as soon as possible.

WildRose52
Grafter

Available Results May Include
Personal Information
Name
Marital Status
Religion
Politics
And More
Contact Information
Address
Home Phone
Mobile Phone
Email Address
Social Networks
Profiles
Photos
Videos
Blogs
And More...
https://www.spokeo.com/purchase?q=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spokeo.com%2Fprivacy

One would need to be totally dumb to say this is a conspiracy.
When we think of all the various databases they`re compiling in this country (FACT btw) then
not too difficult to see how people`s info can very easily be shared  (and no doubt will include
all the Medical Records info once they upload those to 3rd parties - in progress now - check that
info for yourselves on Google - or better still ask you`re GP)