cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spoiler Alert - Don't not read this if you intend to see the film : Gravity

shalom2010
Grafter

Spoiler Alert - Don't not read this if you intend to see the film : Gravity

I've just seen this film and really enjoyed it. It's refreshing to see a film that allows you to think for yourself, without handing everything on a plate.
Whilst most of the space sequences seem realistic I do have one question though.
At the end of the film when Ryan Stone gets out of the space vessel, would she not have had the 'bends'?
I thought there had to be a period of decompression period before you could breathe normally. Am I correct?
9 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Spoiler Alert - Don't not read this if you intend to see the film : Gravity

I found it incredibly boring! (Ashamedly nodded off in the cinema)
I thought that it was incredibly slow and nothing really happened at all.  Imagery was fantastic however.
Your point is true of the likes of deep sea divers and I imagine it would depend on the type of oxygen they were using and the pressure of the air outside. It may be (and I am probably wrong) that the bends is caused by the increased pressure the further down you dive and you have to regulate it when coming up.
Community Veteran

if she was in a vessel which kept the pressure at one atmosphere, she would be in no danger of bends however deep she went.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

she would only need decompression if she had been under a pressurised system that had much greater than normal atmospheric pressure (more than 2 atmospheres)
IIRC original space faring stuff had several atmospheres of pressure inside them but that would be disastrous if they developed a puncture from some form of microscopic space dust traveling at high speed (explosive decompression) so they dialled it down oh and escape pods generally don't have all the extra's so there only giving a tiny amount of positive pressure Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The ISS is in a low Earth orbit - and gets some protection from the Earth's magnetosphere.
If you wanted to place several satellites in a geostationary orbit (to avoid huge relative velocities),
then this would be in a "high Earth orbit" - and would be much too dangerous for people to occupy for weeks at a time.
(Also reaching high orbits would be unnecessarily expensive in fuel).
Why would you put geostationary satellites close together - for no reason at all.
The plot has great big holes in it.

shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks for the comments - appreciated. I guess the film was only supposed to be a sci-fi type film, but as I said I did enjoy it. Made a nice change to the usual rubbish films!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

If you are going to make a sci-fi film it would be nice if they would get their Science right - else its just a "fi" film.
Might as well not bother.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

really if they had to follow "known science fact" it wouldn't be "fiction"
but knowing that it isn't factual science makes it far more appropriate to label it fiction Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

It doesn't make it a sci-fi film just because its an action film set in outer space.
At least 2001 was a believable film - given that such a thing as a monolith could exist.
Same for Alien - given that the alien could exist.
Similarly for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Bladerunner - given that an Android might be built one day.
I could go on...
Of course, you would need to come up with a decent script...

RichAllen
Grafter

I saw it on IMAX the other week, not bad, needed more George C Looney though, most of the story was centered on Sandra Bullock's character.