Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split View, two Channels at once.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Split View, two Channels at once.

So you think they're all pointless, except Pointless?

When I dabbled in psychology (admittedly some years/decades ago now) it was commonly accepted that it was impossible for the brain to engage in two complex intellectual activities at the same time.  Some argued that simultaneous interpreters proved that it was possible, however, it was then agreed that their brain didn't absorb the subject matter in any meaningful way so they were in fact turning themselves into a machine that listened to something in one language and spoke the same information in another, usually remembering none, or very little, of the content of what they'd 'processed'; nowadays one might perhaps say they were a sophisticated Google Translate.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not sure if you are replying to my post there @Jonpe but I don't think I said they were all pointless except Pointless.

Agree with you about simultaneous interpreters though. Recently attended a local Council meeting as an observer (with headphones on as it was all in Welsh) and I know for a fact that points were missed and what was being said was not being translated verbatim. No ulterior motive, just impossible to do. 

My Welsh is bad, but not so bad that even I failed to noticed.

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman, no, you said that you couldn't stand them.

Interpreting is quite taxing on the brain, and interpreters require frequent breaks.  I think the same is true of stenographers, but I don't know how many of those there are now that so much is recorded and automatically transcribed in places like courts.  I wonder whether Parliament still uses them.

The most impressive interpreter I've seen was the one who interpreted Spanish>English and English>Spanish for O. J. Simpson's maid during his trial.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

I said I could not stand soaps or reality shows.

Watching Pointless now.   😃

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Cannot stand soaps, those reality or games shows.... apart from Pointless. 😋

By this I understand that you find "soaps, reality or games shows" pointless.

Highlighted
Rising Star

Reality  TV..

Feb 18th 10pm

SKY News / BBC News

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 22.04.32.jpg

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

Pointless from my point of view.

Some love them, some hate them, and some don't really care either way. 

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Jonpe wrote:

When I dabbled in psychology (admittedly some years/decades ago now) it was commonly accepted that it was impossible for the brain to engage in two complex intellectual activities at the same time. 

This has been proved again by asking people to watch a video in a quiet room and then asking questions about its content,  then give them a phone call to answer ( hand held or hands free didn't matter - both had same effect ) their scores for the second part of the test while answering a phone call bombed,   Now like some people here who say that can watch one video while watching the news while typing an email they may be fooling themselves.... and not really absorbing much - but at least their inattention to the tasks in hand will not result in a fatal vehicle crash..........at worst it may be some unusual spelling and use of words in email while the autocorrect does its work LOL

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Lægen wrote:

Reality  TV..

Feb 18th 10pm

SKY News / BBC News

@Lægen 

I think most of us got your drift from your OP.  Roll_eyes

Which two channels will you be watching simultaneously tonight?

No need to answer that.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@wotsup  as an intellectual.... it is probably true, that trying to "take in" two different forms of information at the same time, results in a lower absorption of the information

In my case... I don`t bother absorbing either "channel" of information... it just flows in and flows past, on it`s way to wherever it goes..

I do not want to "absorb" every detail of the tv prog, just so long as I can follow the subtitles to the end of the program.

I do not want to "absorb" every dot and dash, sent or receive... just process each part of the messages as a line in a conversation... respond accordingly and move along to the next one. !

If you tried to ask me indepth questions about either, then I would not be able to answer them ! ! .. it`s not "that" serious a past time... ! !

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@shutter 

Was not particularly having a pop at you,  but my last couple of lines tell you my opinion of mobile phones in vehicles...

'but at least their inattention to the tasks in hand will not result in a fatal vehicle crash..........at worst it may be some unusual spelling and use of words in email while the autocorrect does its work LOL'

Highlighted
Rising Star

@RobPN wrote:

@Lægen 

No need to answer that.

6pm...

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 18.04.38.jpg

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Lægen wrote:

@RobPN wrote:

@Lægen 

No need to answer that.

6pm...

Fascinating ... 

Highlighted
Rising Star

Home or Away ?

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 23.42.06.jpg

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend