cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiders & Conkers

Fixes: 125

Spiders & Conkers

Yet another evening with another rather largish arachnid scaring the pants off SWMBO (why they're not scared of her is anybody's guess Wink)
My wife's friend seems to think that placing conkers near where the spiders may be entering from will stop them. I'd never heard of this so did a little searching.
It seems that it may just be an old wives' tale but, according to this article, the Royal Society of Chemistry is offering £300 to any member of the public who can back this claim with persuasive evidence.
[quote=Telegraph]Members of the public desperate to keep back the arachnid hordes have contacted the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) asking whether the old wives' tale that spiders suffer from “conkerphobia” is true.
John Edwards, of the RSC, said: “We have been told by external contacts that conkers do prevent invasion by spiders.
“Apparently they have to be fairly fresh to have their deterrent effect. But there are claims on the web, pardon the pun, that spiders don’t like them at all and steer clear – which to those suffering arachnophobia is great news.”

According to this article
[quote=Telegraph]The Year 5 and 6 pupils placed the eight-legged creatures in boxes with conkers and stones - and noted that most of them climbed over the conkers.
Spiders were also placed in a water tank with a choice of escaping across a bridge made of wood or conkers - and most chose the conker route.

So, if anyone has had a run of spider invasions and a few conkers to spare perhaps they'd kindly test it out and post the results Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Spiders & Conkers

D'you, I'm here in the early hours not able to sleep, I wondered if I'd misread the date and its really April 1st.
Quite made my morning, thank you  Grin Grin
edit: The mental image of a group of spiders crowded at the approach to a conker bridge tentatively probing to see whether they will attempt to cross it or not, and maybe electing a "volunteer" and potential suicide to test the bridge...well, perhaps it really is 01/04.
I think you've been had mav. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

For the record, up to now I have not felt the urge to turn around and go the other way when encountering a conker Wink
Fixes: 125

I'm not so sure I have been had.
This is from the RSC site dated 5th October 2009 as is this.
There also seems to be quite a few other references to people's belief that conkers can deter spiders.
May be worth a try. Anything to stop SWMBO from having hysterics every time she sees one...

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK... send me the £300......
Like you, I was sceptical about this "old wives tale".... as told to me by my "old wife".... !  Grin
However, we have a conker... (horse chestnut kernel) in the  hinge corner of our front door,  (floor level - so the spiders have to climb the wall to get in !  Grin Grin ) and by the back door too .....and one in each corner of each room.... and I must admit.... I have never seen any spiders in our house since she put them there....
(mind you... I can`t be 100% certain I did not see them before  Cheesy )
Just been out to the shed.... and seen a couple of whoppers in there.... - no conkers in the shed.... so... make your own mind up.!   Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

My better half always scatters conkers around every autumn and it seems to work
Fixes: 47

You learn something new every day Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation