cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spending your time.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Spending your time.

Assume the internet or computers did not exist, how would you be spending your time ?
In general terms has the internet improved your life in anyway or made no difference to it ?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Spending your time.

Oh, dear.... so much to do, and so little time left to do it.. internet has saved me being athletic,  stopped me from going on bike (cycling) rides, stopped me from watching tv all day... stopped me from building short wave radios and crystal sets, and using them.. stopped me from being in the shed doing wood turning.....
I love the internet...and I still do quite a lot of other interesting things ...
Contrary to some beliefs....  it hasn`t stopped me ... ( to quote Rich Allen ) having a life...
Has it improved my life... Oh Yes... all sorts of information at my fingertips, that would take me hours/days/months to source from librarians/book reading etc... making (electronic) friends via forums, and chat / email, and photography..
I think my life would be a little dull,  without the internet as a source of entertainment... music... films.... photographs .... etc...
I DO enjoy my life...  Smiley and if there were no internet... I would still enjoy my life, because I have so many diverse interests ( on hold ) !
Fixes: 47

Probably more would get done in the house and garden...and I'd get out more.
It has enabled me to earn a bit in the past.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It's enabled me to keep in touch with friends all over the world and it provides me with a wealth of knowledge that is instantly available.
Without it I'd possibly play more tennis Smiley
It is, however, addictive and time consuming and its use needs controlling Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The internet has enabled me to develop a successful line of business that would not have been possible pre-internet days.
What would I do without it, probably welfare of rare breeds, (sheep and pigs).
Fixes: 121

Without it I would not have met the beautiful and wonderful Mrs Mav Cry
I spend no more or less time watching TV but I do note that I spend more time sitting at the PC than I do sitting on the settee reading or going out.
Is my life actually better for it...
Quite possibly but it has also given me the ability to be much lazier.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

kdoug007
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
Assume the internet or computers did not exist, how would you be spending your time ?
In general terms has the internet improved your life in anyway or made no difference to it ?

Well  lets  put it this  way.. in the  regin of queen victoria..  folk had very very  large  families!!!!!!
RichAllen
Grafter

In some ways I'd be better off without  the Internet, both emotionally and financially, but really, I can't do without it nowadays.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Sorry for the late reply, I noticed this topic the day it was posted but never got round to posting!
Before the internet came along my life used to be very dull and boring. These were the days of only 4 TV channels too and sundays were the worst - Footie or horse racing on all 4 channels. Then along came the internet. Life changed! Hours could be spent online chatting to the ladies or looking up ultra cool things online.
My english grammer has also improved no-end since getting online too. To be honest thats probably more to do with MS Word than being online but still.. word came with the computer lol.  As shutter says the internet makes research so much easier too. Moons ago it meant weeks or months of book reading, drifting thoughts, struggling to get back to reading etc. Now you hit google and the first few results are normally enough to get you what you're looking for.
The web has also meant I spend less time watching TV too. Not only is it fun to use but you're constantly learning things online too. Plus you can communicate with people all over the world with minimum fuss, it's quiet, you don't need a noisy car or car parking to send your international letter etc.
It's also now very cheap to get online too. Dongle and £15 of credit could easily do me for an entire month without the hassle of a phone line. Portable computers are now realistically sized so that you can take them anywhere and pretty much anything a normal desktop PC could do. It's also made car ownership easier as you can simply go online and find out tricks to doing certain tasks, seek advice for DVLA issues, insurance issues etc that you'd again spend mega time researching without it.
Then there is the entertainment value too. You can find videos and music in seconds to stream. Games too. Again with cheap internet access it's many hobbies rolled into one and made to be more efficient.
The downside is that its very addictive. I can spend hours online and get nothing productive done in the 'real' world. Many household tasks slip, very little DIY gets done (my once practiced skills are now shot and my DIY tools now mainly consist of only car tools lol).
Then there is the fun you can have with family. Just the other day I was at the sis's and we were watching tons of youtube videos on the TV. Great fun!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: 7up
My english grammer has also improved no-end since getting online too

Was that a deliberate spelling error Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'll leave you guessing Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

That's cruel Sad